Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

3x Greatgrandad born in Cawpore India

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rachael

Rachael Report 1 Aug 2009 13:43

How do i find information out about my Greatgrandad X3 Joseph Thomas who was born in Cawpore India in 1823? I would like to try and find out who his parents were but have no idea where to start. When he came back to England he lived in Alton Hampshire
Rach

Paul

Paul Report 1 Aug 2009 14:03

Someone may be able to help on here Rachael.........but they would need a name to start with, in order to see if they can find anything!

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Aug 2009 14:08

tell us all you know and we'll see what we can find for you

Rachael

Rachael Report 1 Aug 2009 14:15

Thanks alot. I have put his name on and where he moved to when he came back to England. If you need anymore info i'll try and help.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Aug 2009 14:21

I can find seven Joseph Thomas's born in India but none for the date you quote - anything else you know about him

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Aug 2009 14:26

Name: Joseph THOMASEvent type: BirthDate: 18 OctYear: 1825Location: St. HelenaParents: John, slave of F. ALEXANDER; MaryNotes: Event type: BaptismDate: 19 AugYear: 1832Location: St. HelenaParents: John, slave of F. ALEXANDER; MaryNotes: Transcribed by: British LibraryIndia Office Records Reference:
N/6/3 f. 198 Source name: Source year: Source edition: Presidency: Other

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Aug 2009 14:29

PreviousNext

Name: Terence Joseph THOMASEvent type: BirthDate: 01 FebYear: 1929Location: R. C. Church, CalcuttaParents: Horatio Nelson, head fotter, B. N. Rly.; Alice LouisaNotes: Event type: BaptismDate: 20 FebYear: 1930Location: R. C. Church, CalcuttaParents: Horatio Nelson, head fotter, B. N. Rly.; Alice LouisaNotes: Transcribed by: British LibraryIndia Office Records Reference:
N/1/522 f. 57 Source name: Source year: Source edition: Presidency: Bengal

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 1 Aug 2009 14:31

the seven are on the free Mormon site

http://www.ancestorhunt.com/mormon_church_records.htm

the others are on this

http://indiafamily.bl.uk/UI/

Gayle

Gayle Report 1 Aug 2009 14:46

Hi Rachael

There are 19 results for Joseph Thomas in the British Library, India office.
http://indiafamily.bl.uk. It is free to look up your relatives. Good Luck

Gayle

Rachael

Rachael Report 1 Aug 2009 17:39

Thanks for all the info. I have info when he was in this country its before i'm looking for. On his marriage cert his father is deceased so it dosnt name him. He was married Mary Yarletts on 1st Dec 1851. I have the census from 1850 onwards.

Rachael

Rachael Report 24 Aug 2009 13:22

Hi there.
Im still having no look finding my 3X GreatGrandad. Ive tried the India records office Family search. Here is all my info.
Joseph Thomas born 1821/22 Cawnpore or Counpore East Indies. He came back to England and lived in Alton Hampshire. He married his Partner Mary Yarletts 1st Dec 1855. On the marriage cert it says deceased for his fathers name. Theyre 1st child was born in 1852 his name was Charles Thomas. I've got the census from 1861 but can't find him before that. PLEASE HELP
Rachael

Joan

Joan Report 23 Nov 2014 04:11

Oh Rachael, how I feel for you. I have just spent the best part of 2 days looking for this birth for a friend of mine. He is her gt.g.father.

I see that you were doing this research more than 5 years ago and wondered if you managed to find anything positive, please?

Joan Powell

Joan

Joan Report 23 Nov 2014 04:32

Rachael,

I forgot to give you what I managed to find out of the East India Register. Unfortunately they only record the surname and sex. The father is also given but if you can't work out which one is a Joseph it doesn't really help.

Birth Date 18 - Nov
Birth Year 1820
Baptised Surname Thomas
Sex Male
LDS Film Reference None
IOR Reference None
Source Name East India Register
Source Year 1822
Source Edition 1
Source Presidency Bengal
Source Event Birth
Entry The lady of Lieut. T. Thomas, of a son.

Birth Date 28 - Feb
Birth Year 1822
Baptised Surname Thomas
Sex Male
LDS Film Reference None
IOR Reference None
Source Year 1824
Source Edition 1
Source Presidency Bengal
Source Event Birth
Entry Lately. The lady of Lieut. Wm. Thomas, H. M. 89th foot, of a son.

Birth Date 21 - Feb
Birth Year 1823
Baptised Surname Thomas
Sex Male
LDS Film Reference None
IOR Reference None
Source Year 1825
Source Edition 2
Source Presidency Bengal
Source Event Birth
Entry The lady of Dr. Thomas, of a son.

Joan Powell

greyghost

greyghost Report 23 Nov 2014 11:37

Hi Joan,

You have noticed that Rachael posted her request 5 years ago and with only 4 posts to her name may no longer be a GR member or if she is, not checking back.

You can try actually clicking on her name and sending a personal message to her. GR will forward this - providing she still has the same email address which she registered with them.

Joan

Joan Report 28 Nov 2014 05:42

Thanks Greyghost, I am in touch with Rachael as she is still a GR member.
:-)