Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

James Mountain c 1825 West Bromwich Staffs

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Apr 2014 15:34

I am looking for James Mountain in the 1841 census and also his baptism.

This is what I know

* I have found him in the 1851 census born 1825 West Bromwich, 1861 census in Longton Staffs born 1826 West Bromwich, 1871 census Gomersal Yorkshire born 1825 West Bromwich, 1881 census Liversedge Yorkshire born 1824 West Bromwich and 1891 census Liversedge Yorkshire born 1824 West Bromwich.

* He married Sarah Arpwood on 8 June 1845 in the Parish of North Harborne Staffs. He states that he was aged 20 occ Miner and Abode Smethwick. His father is given as James Mountain Deceased occ Miner. Witnesses Job Taylor and Mary Taylor.

* James died in 1893 Liversedge Reg Dist Dewsbury aged 66 born 1827.

I have looked on Ancestry, Family Search & FreeReg.

There was a James Mountain who was transported first to Bermuda in 1828 and then to Tasmania in 1835 that looked to be a strong contender for James Snr. However, reading through his prison documents it stated that he had four children William, Henry, Mary and Ann but no mention of James!

It could be that James jnr has been seriously mistranscribed on Ancestry so I'm hoping that someone with Find My Past can have a look on there to see if he can be found on the 1841 census.

Also, I'm hoping that someone with the Staffordshire Parish Records CD can find James's Baptism and/or anything about his family.

Thanks in advance.............

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Apr 2014 15:40

Not on FMP as Mountain...........

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Apr 2014 15:41

Thanks for looking Reggie

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 23 Apr 2014 19:28

Just nudging up in case someone on the evening shift can help :-)

Thanks

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 23 Apr 2014 21:32

Just to mention that freebmd has the marriage in 1845 as being in Kings Norton district, which was part of Worcestershire, not Staffordshire.
Maybe widen the search to Worcs, and Warwickshire.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 24 Apr 2014 10:21

Yes, West Bromwich straddles Staffordshire, Worcestershire, Shropshire and Warwickshire which doesn't help.

The marriage cert states County of Stafford.

Have exhausted all the records I can for all four Counties. However, if anyone has the CDs for the Parish Records for any of the four Counties I would appreciate it if they could have a look for the elusive James Mountain and his family.

Thanks again to all those looking!

Gee

Gee Report 24 Apr 2014 10:47

Hi

Have you given any thought to this guy?

1841 England Census

Name:James Mountain

Estimated birth year:abt 1821

Civil Parish:Langtoft

Hundred:Dickering

County/Island:Yorkshire

Registration district:Driffield

Sub-registration district:Langtoft

Piece:1215
Book:1
Folio:3
Page Number:4

Household Members:

Elizabeth Dowker 19
Mary Stephenson 25
Francis Rowling 15
Richd Barn 15
Mark Tharpe 15
James Mountain 20
George Collinson 25
George Willson 35
Henry Smith 20
George Dolphin 12

Gee

Gee Report 24 Apr 2014 11:02

Should Sarah' name be Harpwood?

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name:Sarah Harpwood

Baptism Date:13 Mar 1831

Baptism Place:Oldbury,Worcester, England

Father:
Thomas Harpwood

Mother:
Elizabeth Harpwood

FHL Film Number:6085650

Reference ID:p180

Does her fathers name match with the marriage entry?

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 24 Apr 2014 15:14

Gins, thanks for looking for me.

The 1841 census is a possibility as he wasn't born in the county. I was hoping, as one does, that I could find some tangible link to Cottam and/or the others who weren't born in the county but I can't at the moment.

With regards to the Baptism for Sarah, yes that is her she was 16 when she married and her Father was Thomas he was a Miner too. The surname given for both on the Marriage Cert is 'Arpwood'. Although, in the 1841 census she is listed as 'Harpwood'.

brummie46

brummie46 Report 24 Apr 2014 18:56

Try Sandwell archives for any information you are after.
Smethwick/Kings Norton came under Harborne parish at one time. Also noted Sarah born Oldbury there again would help in your search for the two places at next to each other.
good luck

Andrew

Andrew Report 24 Apr 2014 19:08

Also try Dudley archives. Finding records in this area can be a nightmare, as the county boundaries moved. At one time Dudley was a detached piece of Worcestershire completely surrounded by Staffordshire.

Andy

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 25 Apr 2014 10:49

Thanks for your input brummie46 & Andrew will look into the info further.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 5 Dec 2014 11:31

I am still looking for James in the 1841 census and his baptism.

James remains very elusive so if anyone is up for a challenge I'd be grateful if you'd take a look.

Thanks in advance.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Dec 2014 12:08

Do you think that the father he named when he married actually existed?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Dec 2014 12:11

Throwing in as a suggestion only for the 'father'

First name(s) James
Last name Mountain
Name note -
Marriage year 1821
Marriage date 09 Jun 1821
Marriage place Saint Marys,Handsworth,Stafford,England
Father's first name(s) -
Father's last name -
Mother's first name(s) -
Mother's last name -
Spouse's first name(s) Mary Ann
Spouse's last name Harper
Spouse's father's fist name(s) -
Spouse's father's last name -
Spouse's mother's first name(s) -
Spouse's mother's last name -
Place Handsworth
County Staffordshire
Country England
Batch number M09867-1

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 5 Dec 2014 12:45

I did think that his father could have died in a mining accident but I've looked at many of the mining accident sites but as yet haven't found a James Mountain listed as being killed.

I was thinking that if he had died prior to the 1841 census his wife might have remarried and he could be listed under the surname of her new husband; but as yet I haven't found anything to prove this theory.

LondonBelle

LondonBelle Report 5 Dec 2014 13:30

I did see that marriage and I believe there was a son Robert Harper Mountain b 1825 but I can't find head nor tail of the family after that date

brummie46

brummie46 Report 21 Aug 2015 17:26

have pm'd with general information of areas