Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Jessie SMITH nee CLARKE (1894)

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shane

Shane Report 17 Jun 2014 15:23

Hi, I'm looking for information regarding the fate of my Great Aunt Jessie CLARKE. She married John Henry SMITH (a Butcher b1895 Walthamstow) in 1918 and moved to London. According to his WWI pension records, John and Jessie were living at 8a Samos Road, Anerley in the inter-war period, but after this I can find no further details. Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2014 15:39

If you have her actual date of birth you may be able to find her death using her dob

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 17 Jun 2014 15:48

Anerley is Penge that comes under Bromley reg district

From 1918 there's these births

Births Mar 1918
Smith Doris M Clarke Bromley 2a 761
Births Mar 1920
Smith Joyce L E Clarke Bromley 2a 1361

Big gap so maybe another family !

Births Sep 1936 - 1939 look on FreeBMD 1 male. 3 females. Only looked to 1940 !

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 17 Jun 2014 15:49

The DOB doesn't appear on deaths before late 1969

Have you looked for possible children of the marriage?

Use freebmd to do so ..........very easy site to use

Shane

Shane Report 17 Jun 2014 21:31

Hi folks, thanks for your replies and the info. I have Jessie's birthdate (23/1/1894), but it doesn't tally with any post-1969 deaths on Freebmd (which I've been using ).

Unfortunately I have no idea whether they moved directly to Anerley or whether they were elsewhere in London - there is a family rumour that they were also in St John's Wood at some point - hence they could have had children anywhere.

As you can imagine with popular names like Clarke and Smith, there are numerous possible children. I'm probably going to have to visit Bromley library and check electoral registers and the baptisms at the local churches. Failing that, it's pot luck on obtaining birth or death certificates...

Catherine

Catherine Report 18 Jun 2014 20:17

maybe the informant didn't know her exact date of birth????

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007 about Jessie Smith
Name: Jessie Smith
Birth Date: 14 Jan 1894
Date of Registration: Jun 1989
Age at Death: 95
Registration district: Bromley
Inferred County: Kent
Volume: 11
Page: 927

Shane

Shane Report 18 Jun 2014 22:20

Thanks Catherine, I'm going to Bromley tomorrow to research the Smiths - will have a look at the local newspaper to see if there's anything relating to this suggested death.

You could well be right about Jessie not knowing her Date of Birth - her brother (my grandfather) was three days out with his birthday it turns out!

Shane

Shane Report 18 Jul 2014 09:26

Alas, the trip to Bromley revealed very little. No evidence of John and Jessie living at 8a Samos Road, and no evidence of them in any electoral registers or newspapers in the local area.

Looks like I'm going to have to try some of the possible deaths in the hope that I get lucky...

Flip

Flip Report 18 Jul 2014 10:08

Did you check the ERs for his mothers address - given as Homefield?? (I think), Westbury road Penge on the military record. He was with mother and siblings in 1911, mother Minnie was a widow - 21 Westbury road according to the census.

Added, don't forget Jessie would not have been eligible to vote until around 1928 - prior to this women needed to be 30.

Shane

Shane Report 19 Jul 2014 08:46

Hi Flip, thanks for the message. Yes, I did check Homefield, and electoral registers for the area through 1952 (mother Minnie died in 1954). Looks like John and Jessie moved away somewhere... the rascals!

Flip

Flip Report 19 Jul 2014 09:55

Have you a dob for John Henry so we could try to see if he made it past 1969?

Susan

Susan Report 19 Jul 2014 10:25

Possible Walthamstow in this Parish

England & Wales, FreeBMD Birth Index, 1837-1915 about John Henry Smith
Name: John Henry Smith
Registration Year: 1895
Registration Quarter: Oct-Nov-Dec
Registration district: West Ham
Parishes for this Registration District: View Ecclesiastical Parishes associated with this Registration District
Inferred County: Essex
Volume: 4a
Page: 376

Shane

Shane Report 19 Jul 2014 12:25

Hi again Flip - according to his war pension records he was a Butcher prior to the Great War, but checking the gazetteers for the local area up to the 1950's I couldn't spot anyone likely to be him.

Hi Susan - I've just obtained his birth certificate (your reference is correct) and have a birthdate of 15/11/1895 and a birth location of Walthamstow. His mother moved to Penge after the death of her husband in 1909. John's birthdate doesn't tally with any post 1969 deaths, so I'm guessing he probably died earlier than that or didn't know his birthdate.

By my calculations there could be as many as 40 or 50 entries in the GRO index that could be potential ones for John H and Jessie (assuming that Jessie didn't remarry and change her surname). Cross referencing them gives a few possible locations, but at £9.25 a go it could be an expensive exercise!

Another Genes Reunited member has suggested that Jessie died early and John might have remarried around 1930 to a Mrs Dean, but when pressed couldn't confirm it. I'm still hoping someone from the Smith side will put their tree on GU soon and make everything clear...

Thanks for your help and suggestions, folks!

Flip

Flip Report 19 Jul 2014 12:34

I wonder if it was significant that on his military record the Dept Work & Pensions requested information on his service history 9/3/1939 - which was duly supplied.

I've not come across such a request on other records - but then again I haven't checked that many.

Flip

Flip Report 19 Jul 2014 14:13

This must be worth a punt!

Deaths Mar 1935 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Smith Jessie 40 Thanet 2a1495

Thanet reg district covers Margate and there is this probate record:

Jessie Smith
Probate Date:13 Feb 1936
Death Date:20 Jan 1935
Death Place:Margate, Kent, England
Registry:Winchester

Jessie Smith of 18 Tivoli Park Avenue, Margate (wife of John Henry Smith) died at Margate general hospital. Administration to the said John Henry Smith, Store companies manager. Effects £41.

If you like I can PM you the probate entry - but it doesn't give anything else.

Fingers crossed ;-)

Shane

Shane Report 19 Jul 2014 22:34

Hi Flip,

Wow! That looks extremely promising... Absolutely indebted to you for looking that up, Flip.

I'll get a request in for a death certificate and will see what else I can find out. I can feel another trip to Kent coming on... ;-)

Cheers matey!

Shane

Flip

Flip Report 20 Jul 2014 04:26

Let us know how you get on, I had a quick look at the British Newspaper archives but couldn't spot an obituary - but maybe the local library or records centre has better local coverage.

Shane

Shane Report 20 Jul 2014 17:43

Will do, Flip... These are exciting times!

Shane

Shane Report 25 Jul 2014 22:14

Hey there Flip. The death certificate arrived this morning and I think it is indeed my Great Aunt Jessie. Her husband's occupation is District Manager of a Cold Storage Company, which would be a likely job for an ex butcher...

Poor old Jessie died from complications after a hysterectomy, I'm guessing John Henry Smith probably remarried later the same year to Edena Knowles, though I still need to confirm that.

And more importantly, I need to find out if John and Jessie ever had any children, always more research to do!

Thanks again for your help, you're a star!

Flip

Flip Report 26 Jul 2014 07:02

Good, it does look likely for Jessie.

I think you would need the marriage certificate, Edena M Knowles would have been much younger than him, as it looks like her birth was registered Thanet in 1915 - and I think this could be her death:

Edena Marie Smith
Birth Date:12 Nov 1915
Date of Registration:Mar 2004
Age at Death:88
Registration district:S and W Dorset
Inferred County:Dorset
Register Number:D4E
District and Subdistrict:432/1D
Entry Number:182

Incidently, I came across another dept of pensions request for service details on another unconnected search. It was when the soldier applied for a disability pension - it could be relevant, but I've no idea how you could follow up on it.

Jessie's address on the probate record looks quite nice - semi's overlooking the park. I wonder if it is worth getting the electoral rolls checked out see if John stays there after her death - and see if Edena turns up?