Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death certificate advice

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date
Marked As Answer Marked as Answered

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 10:31

Hi all, a relative passed away In 1884 leaving a will but does anyone know if I order a copy of his actual death certificate would it definitely name both of his parents as its so long ago?
Many thanks

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 24 Jul 2014 10:45

Depends where he died. Scottish certificates have named both parents, including the mother's maiden surname if the informant knew the details since statutory registration began in 1855. I think English certificates may only name the father. Irish certificates that I have from the early 1900s don't even name the spouse never mind parents.

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 10:48

He died in Abingdon, Berkshire, UK. Thank you for your advice think I will get on an order the certificate in the hope his father's name is listed.

Gee

Gee Report 24 Jul 2014 10:50

I don't think death certificates have the fathers name on, well, unless the father registered the death

If you need any help tracing the parents names, just post the details

Do you have his probate record?

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 10:57

Unless the father registered the death, the name will not be on the cert

English certs do not normally name relatives, other than the deceased's spouse (in the case of a married woman or widow) , only the informant's qualification. IE. if he or she was related to the deceased.

That applies as much now as it did in 1837 when the GRO came into being

The only changes have been since 1969 when the actual DOB was added, together with the maiden name of a married woman who has died

What are you trying to find out?

Have you looked for the man on censuses?

1871 and 1881 are in full on familysearch

EDITED
Having trawled through some certs in my possession, I've found one where the father's name is recorded for an adult, but she was unmarried. In my experience, that is extremely unusual

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 11:02

Hi Gins this is a person I have posted on Genes before and lots of people kindly helped but no one was able to find an exact birth or parents. The only details I have of his will are:
DREW Richard Personal Estate £1,040 7s 4d Resworn February 1885 £1,141 4s 4d 24th May 1884 The will of Richard Drew late of Abingdon in the county of BERKS Builder who died 18 March 1884 at Abingdon was proved at Oxford by Stephen Drew Builder the son
We think he was born abt 1813 to 1815 in Abingdon, Berks this is taken from burial record:
Buried 21.3.1884 St Helens, Abingdon. Died vol 2c page 193 - Abingdon. When Richard was buried in 1884 his age is given as 70 which would give year of birth as 1813.

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 11:04

Sorry for to add that I have traced details of his wife and family fully to present date and have details of all census reports, just every now and then I try and find his parents again but always banging head against a brick wall

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 11:10

When did he marry?

Did he name a father?

Where does he claim to have been born?

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 11:13

For background

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Oak Street, St Helen, Abingdon, Berkshire, England

Print household transcription Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital condition Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Richard Drew Head Married Male 46 1815 Builder Master Employing 6 Men And 2 Boys Cothill, Berkshire Image Transcription
Mary Ann Drew Wife Married Female 45 1816 - Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Sarah Drew Daughter Unmarried Female 20 1841 Dress Maker Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Isaac Drew Son Unmarried Male 18 1843 Builder Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Sophia Drew Daughter Unmarried Female 15 1846 - Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Martha A Drew Daughter - Female 13 1848 Scholar Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Mary J Drew Daughter - Female 11 1850 Scholar Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Elizabeth Drew Daughter - Female 9 1852 Scholar Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Albert Drew Son - Male 5 1856 Scholar Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription
Thomas James Apprentice Unmarried Male 20 1841 Apprentice Abingdon, Berkshire Image Transcription

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 11:18

Haven't you looked at familysearch?

Richard Drew
England Births and Christenings, 1538-1975
Attach to Family Tree
COPY PRINT SOURCE BOX SHARE
Name: Richard Drew
Christening Date: 05 Sep 1813
Christening Place: Marcham, Berkshire, England
Father's Name: Richard Drew
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01987-2 , System

Name: Isaac Drew
Christening Date: 26 Nov 1815
Christening Place: Marcham, Berkshire, England
Father's Name: Richard Drew
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01987-2 , System

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 11:19

He married a Mary Pert 19.05.1834 St Helens, Berkshire. No father stated. Born varies from Cothill which is a small hamlet within Marcham, Berkshire and Abingdon, Berkshire.

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 11:19

as the eldest son was Isaac, I don't think the baptisms are merely coincidence

Gee

Gee Report 24 Jul 2014 11:23

What about this?

England, Select Births and Christenings, 1538-1975

Name:Richard Drew

Baptism Date:5 Sep 1813

Baptism Place:
Marcham, Berkshire, England

Father:
Richard Drew

Mother:
Elizabeth

FHL Film Number:1279463

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 11:24

Hi, yes have found the christening record 5.9.1813 but other researchers are adamant this isn't correct but this is one I had pencilled in on my tree and like it states father Richard Drew and mother Ellizabeth - believe this is a Elizabeth Hanks 1784 to 1850. As others have disputed this I was trying to find an actual paper record/certificate to try and prove

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 11:27

If others are adamant invite them to prove it

Or make a visit to the County records office

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 11:27

it is reassuring that you have all found the same records as me. thank u for your help

Gee

Gee Report 24 Jul 2014 11:28

England, Select Marriages, 1538–1973

Name:Richard Drew

Marriage Date:
21 Jan 1805

Marriage Place:
Marcham,Berkshire,England

Spouse:
Elizabeth Hanks

FHL Film Number:

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 11:33

thanks all this has def given me the confidence to move on and agree a trip to the records office is needed :-)

Ricochet

Ricochet Report 24 Jul 2014 11:36

If you think the mother died in 1850, her death cert might prove useful.

It would name her husband, and the informant could possibly be her son

Solar

Solar Report 24 Jul 2014 11:41

brilliant idea thank u