Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Are Any Divorce Records Online?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 22 Nov 2014 19:28

While really dabbling in side lines, I found a couple Gladys Lilian Tansley and Sidney Frank Topott who married in Q4 1911.

They had one daughter to my knowledge - Vera A, born in 1916 died 1936

They both remarried in June 1927 - she to Leslie Douglas Inman and he to Dorothy Helena Knapp.

So did they divorce? And is there any way of finding out?

Jude

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Nov 2014 20:32

From this site:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/browse/r/r/C5946376

1925-1928 Series
J 77/2257/732 1926
Divorce Court File: 732. Appellant: Gladys Lilian Topott. Respondent: Sidney Frank Topott. Type: Wife's petition for divorce [wd].

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 22 Nov 2014 20:39

Vera born 1915? not 16?

Births Dec 1915 (>99%)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TOPOTT Vera A TANSLEY Nottingham 7b 639

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 23 Nov 2014 07:33

Margee thanks!

Yes that's the one I have got - just haven't altered the "about 1916" that filtered in from tree hint before I checked everything

Sidney Frank was the owner of a lace factory (or three) in Nottingham

Jude

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 23 Nov 2014 15:28

Jude - have you got his obituary from the Nottingham Post dated 29/07/1950. There is also a photo of him but I don't know how to lift it! I'll type up the text though if you want it.

It's on FMP perhaps some one else knows how to copy it and if so please tell me how to do it. I tried it with the Snip Tool in Windows 7 but without success

Wendy

jax

jax Report 23 Nov 2014 15:32

I will download and send if you dont have access if you like

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 23 Nov 2014 15:36

Yes please Jax but can you tell me how to do it. I have FMP but don't know how to copy an article to send on

Many thanks

Wendy

jax

jax Report 23 Nov 2014 15:46

Last time I pressed download and was able to send by doing that.... Some reason it didn't work on my laptop this time .... So have done a screenshot on my tablet which I will send to jude

I have also done it in the past with the snipping tool, but that article was too long

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 23 Nov 2014 15:56

Thanks for that I'm on my PC at the moment but will try a dummy run on the iPad later.

jax

jax Report 23 Nov 2014 16:13

I would rather do downloads on my tablet, but every time I have tried it has come up unsuccessful on fmp..... Don't know why

I had no trouble downloading army records on fmp last week.... Today it wouldn't work, now I am wondering whether it's something to do with Firefox as that has seemed to have changed this week

No must be the newspapers as I have just managed to download my grandfathers army thingy no problem

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 23 Nov 2014 16:40

Thanks all - I do have access to FMP (courtesy of my Times+ membership) so had seen this although I hadn't tried downloading...have done so now and it works OK (I use either Google Chrome or Internet Explorer)

It would be nice to be a fly on the wall sometimes wouldn't it? I wonder if Sidney and Gladys had been estranged for some time and Gladys only petitioned because she had found love with Leslie?

Whatever, another few ends tidied up :-)

Jude