Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

1939 Register

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 22 May 2016 14:01

Hello,

Would someone be able to look up the following entry on the 1939 register for me?

Carter Household Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England

Rosannah Carter 1904

---------------------------------------------------

I wanted to know if Rosannah was still listed as married or widowed?

thankyou

safc

safc Report 22 May 2016 14:04

Rosannah Carter on the 1939 Register

1939 Register Transcription

Carter Household (1 Person) 28 Allesley Street , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Rosannah Carter 03 Oct 1904 Female Motor Driver Goods Por Married 27 1

Ref: RG101/5502H/003/7 Letter Code: © Findmypast Ltd
Open a closed record Request a living person's record
Close an open record Report an error

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 22 May 2016 14:06

Thankyou so much safc- that is indeed the person I am looking for. I take it she is alone? I was expecting one closed record?

Maddie

Maddie Report 22 May 2016 14:28

at the same address no 28, Rosemartyis schedule 27/1, sydney 28/1

Powers Household (2 People) Allesley Street , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Sex Occupation Marital status Schedule Schedule Sub Number
Sydney E Powers 01 Dec 1898 Male Pistol Component Make Married 28 1
Arthur H Powers 19 Feb 1871 Male Retired Widowed 28 2

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 22 May 2016 14:35

Many thanks Maddie- I've just taken a quick look, but don't think they are related. I've noted it down just in case though.

Catherine

Catherine Report 22 May 2016 14:36

Just to put record straight, the original image shows that Rosnnah had (No Occupation) so she was not a [Motor Driver Goods Por]

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 22 May 2016 14:42

Ah..Thank you Catherine!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 May 2016 21:24

she also has the number 1 against her name, indicating that she is the sole person.

The name immediately under hers, Sydney Powers, who also has the number 1 against his name, indicating a different household. So a house divided into 2???

It is possible that Rosannah's husband was already in the services and away from home

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 25 May 2016 18:47

The information here has been great- after a little more digging I found that Sydney Powers was the husband of Rosannah's sister-in-law- so although listed as two households under the same address, they obviously knew each other. So thankyou for your help.

Rosannah's mother (also Rosanna/ Rosannah) remarried to a Samuel King in 1923 Birmingham- he was a bad lot who spent much time in and out of prison. I believe he died in 1938.

I have Rosannah King on the 1939 electoral register living at 2 back 15 Ormond Street, Duddeston, Birmingham living with her daughter Florence Parkes. Rosannah was born c1880 and Florence was born in 1918 and married Alfred Taylor in 1939.

I believe this is Rosannah King on the 1939 register- I would be very grateful if someone could check the image to see if there is anyone else at the address and post Rosannah's birth date:

King Household Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Rosannah King 1879

Dea

Dea Report 25 May 2016 18:55

King Household (1 Person) 2/15 Ormond Street , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Start free family tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
Rosannah King 15 Dec 1879 No Occupation

Ref: RG101/5502B/004/1 Letter Code: © Findmypast Ltd

These people are at the same address but I don't know if they are connected??

Donlan Household (3 People) 15 Ormond Street , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Start free family tree
View original image
Print
First name(s) Last name(s) DOB Occupation
James Donlan 03 Apr 1875 Blacksmith Heavy Worker
Anne Donlan 04 Nov 1874 Unpaid Domestic
James Donlan 26 Jul 1902 Labourer Works

Dea x

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 25 May 2016 18:57

Dea- you are wonderful!

I see it only lists 1 person, but are there any other people at the same address?

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 25 May 2016 19:00

oh, and just a thought- does is say widow?

Dea

Dea Report 25 May 2016 19:03

It says she was a widow Austin........

Dea Xxx

safc

safc Report 25 May 2016 19:04

Rosannah King on the 1939 Register

King Household (1 Person) 2/15 Ormond Street , Birmingham C.B., Warwickshire, England
Attach to tree
View original image
Print
Rosannah King 15 Dec 1879 Female No Occupation Widowed 23 1

Ref: RG101/5502B/004/1 Letter Code: © Findmypast Ltd
Open a closed record Request a living person's record
Close an open record Report an error

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 25 May 2016 19:04

oh- have just seen you've added- many thanks Dea. The names don't mean anything at the moment, but I'll do a little digging just in case.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 25 May 2016 19:06

And Safc- that's just confirmed what I thought- widowed. Thankyou so much- you've all been a great help.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2016 19:52

Austin .

once again, for clarification

to the left of every name on the image of the 1939 Register, there is a number that indicates a person's position in a particular household

Head of household is always 1

Looking at the image of Rosannah King, she is 1 ...... therefore Head of Household

James Donlan is 1 . therefore Head of the Donlan household
Ann Donlan is 2
James Donlan is 3

Also at the same address are two other families, with the first male denoted as #1

Charles S Edwards (an undertaker!), Annie Edwards, and a closed record

Henry Dean, Jessie Dean (later Burt), Brenda Rita Dean (later Page) b 1936, and a still closed record before Brenda

ALL are separate households at the same address.

Dea

Dea Report 25 May 2016 20:28

Charles Edwards + family are next door at No 16 and Henry Dean + family are at No. 17!! - NOT the same household !!

Dea x

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 25 May 2016 20:51

oops ...............

did I mis-read that?

Sorry.

But the Donlans are still shown as a separate household, indicated by the 1 to the left of James name.

In fact, Rosannah's address is shown as 2/15 Ormond Street

The Donlans' address is 15 Ormond Street.

Seeing the 2/15 of the address, made me wonder what that meant ........... so went back 1 page, and there is a family shown as living at 1/15 Ormond Street ..........

1 Thomas E.H Morgan b 4 Jan 1877
2 Leonard H Morgan b 21 July 1916
3 Catherine Morgan (later Young) b 31 Dec 1920

so there are 3 families connected with 15 Ormond Street ...................

the Morgans, Rosannah, and the Donlans

I don't know why the Morgans and Rosannah are designated as 1/15 and 2/15, while the Donlans are simply 15 Ormond Street.