Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WALLS of Scotland

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary

Mary Report 23 Aug 2016 20:13

I'm looking for people who have been able to trace Walls ancestors who migrated from Scotland to England (especially Lancashire) before c 1720. I have DNA information which I'm happy to share. Common surnames are Robert, Thomas, David and Valentine.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2016 21:27

Have you tried 'Search all member Trees'? Top right under Search.

If anyone has listed the same Wall names as you, send them a message asking if they are bloodline relatives and explain your interest.

Mary

Mary Report 23 Aug 2016 22:37

Thanks. Unfortunately the "search all member trees" feature is of little use for me as I do not know where my earliest Walls came from so cannot specify places. I'm hoping that someone with Scottish Walls roots may know of Walls family members who migrated in past centuries. It's known that many Scots mouth southwards with cattle drovers, and others were supporters of tee Young Pretender who are known to have travelled in Lancashire and elsewhere in England. One of my Walls forbears lived in a Lancashire hamlet nicknamed "Little Scotland". I've traced another to "Aberdeen", a place that probably got its name through workers for the Lindsays of Haigh Hall near Wigan.

Walls is a Scottish name (see http://gbnames.publicprofiler.org/Map.aspx?name=WALLS&year=1881&altyear=1998&country=GB&type=name) and derived from Wallace. Indeed I'm told that in some parts of Scotland the name spelled "Walls" is today pronounced "Walless".

Thanks again.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Aug 2016 23:37

The thing is - its unlikely that anyone will stumble across this thread in the near future. You have to look for them.

Using the Search All Member Trees for Walls 1700 +/- 20 born Scotland gives 28 matches. There's even 22 Walls for 1660 +/- 20
Try contacting each member to ask how they arrived at the name.

As GR never removes dormant accounts, its possible that some owners are no longer members, changed their linked email accounts, died etc etc. However, if you don't try to contact them, you'll never know if you have a relative in common!

Mary

Mary Report 24 Aug 2016 09:29

Thanks. In the past I've tried some of the names. No one has replied, and I'd assumed that people were, as you say, no longer active or not interested. I will just have to keep trying.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 24 Aug 2016 09:37

As you probably know, you can always check to see if your messages have been accessed by checking your 'sent messages' box on GR. unread ones will have an envelope icon next to them.