Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Mary macdonald mother of jessie macdonald

Page 0 + 1 of 6

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
  6. 6
  7. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 15:51

Jessie macdonald died balblair house nairn scotland 1927 have got her death cert downloaded from scotlands people to continue my search I need to decipher the address her mother mary gave as informant it's not necessarily nairn but I simply can't work it out can anyone help please not sure how I can add the document on here regards stuart

alviegal

alviegal Report 24 Sep 2016 17:12

Balblair House was the old Poorhouse in Nairn. It then became a hospital and Nursing Home in 1930. The original was demolished in 2000.

http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Nairn/

I understand you want to find her mother, Mary's address at the time. What can you tell us about both of them? Years of birth, was Mary married and to whom, what age did Jessie die at etc.

AustinQ

AustinQ Report 24 Sep 2016 17:20

Aberdeen Journal - Wednesday 06 November 1918

TO LET
Unfurnished, Balblair House, Nairn (1 mile from town) containing three public rooms, 9 bedrooms, bathroom, kitchen, servants accommodation etc, main water, stable, coach house, gardeners cottage, large garden & grounds. Rent moderate, Apply to Lamb & Co solicitors, Nairn

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Sep 2016 18:28

If you have the death cert saved to your computer, you can send me a private message (click on my name at the top of this post) and attach the file to your message.

That would be the preferred method - preferred by me, at least!

If that doesn't work, I might be willing to use a few credits and have a look on SP.
However, the site is down until Monday 26th, so I wouldn't be able to do it until then.

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 19:19

Ok hope this helps where I have got so far jessie macdonald born circa 1900 to Mary macdonald died balblair house nairn 1927 she had John macdonald at that address 1926 she's buried in a paupers grave nairn cemetery i am trying to work back from jessie through Mary I have never found a birth cert for jessie or indeed a Mary macdonald with a young jessie in the 1901 census after constant efforts kind regards stuart

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Sep 2016 19:52

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Mary McDonald Head Married Female 22 1879 Carters Wife Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland Transcription
Jessie McDonald Daughter - Female 3 1898 - Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland Transcription
Gordon McDonald Son - Male 1 1900 - Mortlach, Banffshire,

Scotland.58, Balvenie Street, Mortlach, Banffshire, Scotland.

There are a number of Jessie McDonlad 1898--1900. with mother named Mary in various parts.

Also Jean/Janet/Jemima were known Jessie.

:-D

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 19:59

Yes I did look at this sorry forgot to mention a guy here on genes who's related said he thought this was not her as this jessie died later I think this mary was something like his great gran or something regards stuart although I thought it's a close match

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Sep 2016 20:02

They may not have been living in the Nairn area in 1901, of course.

There are several Jessies born c1900 with mother named Mary, and also Janets ditto, in other parts of Scotland. Jessie is often a diminutive of Janet.

[EDIT: as Kay has already said while I was typing!]

If you can send the death cert by PM as suggested above, I'll have a look at it, to see if I can decipher Mary's address.

Dea

Dea Report 24 Sep 2016 20:12

Click on 'my keepsafes' and download it to there then make sure you set the privacy to viewable by everyone - after that, copy the URL and paste it into here.

Dea x

Dea

Dea Report 24 Sep 2016 20:37

It looks to me like 2, Kess Place, Inverness ??

Dea x

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 20:43

It's possible then maybe mary and jessie were from Inverness do you think

Dea

Dea Report 24 Sep 2016 20:54

Well, Mary's address is certainly Inverness -No 2 (Kess or maybe Kerr) Place

Dea x

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 21:01

Ok any suggestions which way forward now still can find a mary in the 1901 census with a young jessie is that not odd do you think

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 21:21

There is a modern day Kessock street in Inverness today

Kay????

Kay???? Report 24 Sep 2016 21:40

Dont rule out Jessie being with other family members,,,,,,grandparents etc as did often happen due to parent/s having to earn a living.

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 21:49

Yes good point kay

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Sep 2016 21:53

Mary's address is 2 Ness Place.

It still doesn't mean that she was in either Nairn or Inverness in 1901, or that she was born in either of those places.

Ness Place still exists today - it's a little lane running between Haugh Road and Ness Bank - for those who know Inverness.

Stuart

Stuart Report 24 Sep 2016 22:00

Yep bit of a difficult one

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 24 Sep 2016 22:23

Was there no father named on Jessie's death registration please? Have you tried to find Jessie and her mother on the 1911 census please?

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 24 Sep 2016 22:28

No, no father was named on the death cert.

Mary was a house-keeper as at 1927, and illiterate - she made her mark rather than signing.

Jessie died on 18th March, and was 26, which would mean she was born between 18/03/1900 and 18/03/1901