Find Ancestors

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

WW1 Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 20 Nov 2016 14:02

Hi
I wonder if some one would help me please
I am searching for the WW1 Records for
Arthur Stubbs born 1898 ish Misk Farm Papplewick Hucknall Nottingham

Father Walter Stubbs Mother Hannah Stubbs

Thankyou
Olive

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 20 Nov 2016 14:13

Name: Arthur Stubbs
Document Year: 1917
Residence Place: Misk Farm, Hucknall Notts
Relationship to Soldier: Father
Form Title: Descriptive Report on Joining
Other Records:
Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
Walter Stubbs Self (Head)
Father

lostmeboardname

lostmeboardname Report 20 Nov 2016 14:15

looking at the image it shows
Walter Stubbs aged 19 yr 4 mth

Next of kin Arthur Stubbs
Misk Farm Hucknall Notts.

WW1 service record
Name: Walter Stubbs
Birth Date: abt 1898
Enlistment Age: 19
Document Year: 1917
Residence Place: Misk Farm, Hucknall Notts
Regimental Number: 86296
Regiment Name: Machine Gun Corps
Number of Images: 28
Form Title: Record of Service

Family Members:
Name Relation to Soldier
Walter Stubbs Self (Head)
Arthur Stubbs Father

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 20 Nov 2016 14:38

Hi
Thankyou for looking the records
I wonder does it tell you where he was posted to please
Olive

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Nov 2016 14:42

He was posted to India.

Further proof that he was Walter and his parents were Arthur & Hannah:

Walter Hubbs

in the 1911 England Census
Record Image View

Name: Walter Hubbs
[Walter Stubbs]
Age in 1911: 13
Estimated birth year: abt 1898
Relation to Head: Son
Birth Place: Papplewick
Civil Parish: Hucknall Torkard
Search Photos: Search for 'Hucknall Torkard' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
County/Island: Nottinghamshire
Street address: Wish House Hucknall Torkard Notts
Marital Status: Single
Registration district: Basford
Registration District Number: 429
Sub-registration district: Hucknall Torkard
ED, institution, or vessel: 7
Piece: 20441
Household Members:
Name Age
Arthur Hubbs 47
Hannah Hubbs 46
Charles S Hubbs 16
Walter Hubbs 13
Annie Hubbs 9
Arthur Hubbs 7
Hannah M Hubbs 5
Lucy Hubbs 3
William H Hubbs 1

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 20 Nov 2016 15:02

Hi
Thankyou so much
Yes his Father was Arthur and his Mother was Hannah Stubbs (Tagg)

So he severed in India during his Army Service

Thankyou
Olive

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 20 Nov 2016 15:24

Hi
Sorry to ask you agian which Regiment did Walter Stubbs serve in please
Olive

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 20 Nov 2016 18:52

It's very difficult to read these postings but it seems that he was originally in the Sherwood Foresters but then was re-posted to the Machine Gun Corps.
He went to India in Jan. 1918, returned to UK 1919 then re-posted to India 1920 . In 1921 embarked for UK for discharge.

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 20 Nov 2016 19:44

Hi Margaret M
Thankyou for looking for me
I will have to go into Nottingham Central Library as they have Find my Past
And would imagine they have WW1 records

At least I know what to look for me
Thankyou
Olive

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 26 Nov 2016 20:18

Hi
I have managed to find the army records for Walter Stubbs born 1898' Papplewick near Hucknall Nottingham

Some of the Ww1Records were hard to read but have printed off the most clear ones

Thankyou all so much

Olive

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 26 Nov 2016 20:18

Hi
I have managed to find the army records for Walter Stubbs born 1898' Papplewick near Hucknall Nottingham

Some of the Ww1Records were hard to read but have printed off the most clear ones

Thankyou all so much

Olive

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2016 21:36

Olive

Just to let you know that it is difficult to find records for the Machine Gun Corp.

My grandfather also served in the MGC ............ his records show that he boarded a ship in Bombay to go to what was then called Mesoptamia, landing at Basra, in what is now Iraq. His service was in Iraq until until he was sent home in December 1918 and demobbed in March 1919.

Grandfather was 31, married with 3 children when he was called up in December 1915

I have been trying to find out what Grandfather did between being posted to the MGC from the Manchester Regiment in October 1916 and boarding that ship in Bombay in July 1917. There is not much information on where he fought in Iraq ...... just information on hospitalizations on 2 occasions and then return to his unit.

This is what I have found out about the MGC ...................

www.machine-gun-corps-database.co.uk

The Machine Gun Corps is probably one of the most difficult Great War units to research.

It was one of the few “war raised” units, having no existence prior to the conflict, and suffering the ignominy of being disbanded entirely in the years immediately following.

Researchers find it hard to understand why such a vast organisation (well over 100,000 serving soldiers, plus officers, at it’s highest strength) should have left behind so few tangible records.

It has been suggested that the army “establishment” wanted to quickly forget that the Corps ever existed - it had, after all, taken away from the long established infantry regiments some of the very best and cleverest officers whose skill at arms, in mathematics, trigonometry and calculus would become such an asset in the operation of the Vickers machine guns.

It starved the line regiments of recruits, taking the fittest and the best to try and satisfy the demand for more, and yet more, intelligent young men to man the guns.

It succeeded beyond the wildest dreams of its conception, becoming in two short years a model of ruthless efficiency and operational supremacy.

Little wonder that its demise was looked upon with satisfaction in some quarters. Conveniently, perhaps, all of its operational records, its establishments and regimental orders were totally destroyed in a mysterious fire which took place at the last Headquarters of the Corps, at Shorncliffe, near Folkestone in 1920. Not a single sheet of paper survived and even the partly written history of the Corps was lost. No attempt has been made to put right this omission until recent years.

This disaster, together with the loss of so many personal enlistment files in September 1940, during the blitz on London, has made the job of researching MGC soldiers an enigma for the average genealogist. Official figures suggest that about 35% of original files still exist, but “in depth” research into those held by the National Archives (and available on-line via Ancestry) reveal that, in respect of the MGC, only about 20% can be found. Of these, a significant number are duplicated, leaving a net percentage nearer to 15%. The chances of finding a specific file is in the order of one in six.

-------------

The people running the Machine Gun Corps Database are attempting to collect information.

You may be able to find some information on the MGC units from the following sites, and thus get an idea of where Walter served and what he did ..........

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/

www.machine-gun-corps-database.co.uk

http://www.machineguncorps.co.uk/

http://www.1914-1918.net/mgc.htm

http://www.cgsc.edu/CARL/nafziger/917BKMA.pdf

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2016 22:20

Interesting little snippet ..............

your Walter re-enlisted for another 2 years on March 9 1919, one day before my Grandfather was demobbed!

He served in the North West Frontier Force from 07-07-19 to 08-08-19, and same area (I think) 06-09-19

However, Walter ended up in Iraq in 1920 after re-enlistment ............

Embarked Bombay 27-8-20
Disembarked Basra 02-9-20

Admitted to hospital Basra 13-9-20

and he seems to have then stayed in Iraq, as he embarked Basra 21-2-21 for Bombay and then onto England for discharge

I have to say that I haven't seen a record so difficult to decipher!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 26 Nov 2016 22:33

I presume you saw his Medal record??

The first number was his number during the war, the second was the number on his re-enlistment

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920

Name: Walter Stubbs
Regiment or Corps: Machine Gun Corps
Regimental Number: 118619, 7810667

He was awarded the British Medal, the Ind.GS.Afgn,NWFF 1919 (Roll 17917-178), and the AFB 104-117 I G S M & Clasp Afgn 1919 (on 4-12-23)

The British War Medal was awarded to both servicemen and civilians that either served in a theater of war, or rendered service overseas between 5 August 1914 and 11 November 1918.

AFB 104-117 I G S M & Clasp Afgn 1919 = IND.GS India General Service Medal with AFGN (Afghanistan) NWFF (North West Frontier Force) Clasp

The India General Service Medal was instituted 1st January 1909 for campaign service on the Indian frontiers and elsewhere as defined by the bars awarded below. The medal was not issued without a bar.

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 30 Nov 2016 16:08

Hi
Thankyou so much for your information
I was pleased I found Walter Stubbs records for WW1 But the pages were not very clear
I didn't realise he had more information Also Medals

I will print all the information off and had a good read

Thankyou agian
Olive

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 8 Dec 2016 18:24

Hi Syliva of Canada

Thankyou for the information on Walter Stubbs
I have been looking for the Medals
But do not seam to be able to find them
From Olive

Chris Ho :)

Chris Ho :) Report 8 Dec 2016 18:46

Which website are you using?...

Chris :)

British Army WWI Medal Rolls Index Cards, 1914-1920 (Ancestry)

Medal Index Cards Transcription (Find My Past)

Edits (no idea where they are on Genes!, you can check Catergories in Armed Forces & Conflict)

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 8 Dec 2016 21:50

Hi Chris
I have tried The archive but they only let you in so far
I will have a look in the local library as they have Ancestry
Just would like to see a picture of them
Thankyou for your reply

Olive

Kayak

Kayak Report 10 Dec 2016 12:14

Olive Jean these might be worth a look

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_General_Service_Medal_(1909)

http://www.northeastmedals.co.uk/britishguide/india_general_service_1908.htm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_War_Medal

Olive Jean

Olive Jean Report 15 Dec 2016 14:09

Thankyou for your reply
I will have a look to see if I can find any
Happy Christmas and New year
Olive