Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

HOW CAN I ! sorted thank you

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

michael2

michael2 Report 28 Nov 2008 22:54

how can i save my g/r tree on to a memory stick, as a back up .painterman

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 28 Nov 2008 22:56

Not sure you can but would like to be proved wrong.

What about getting a free family tree program such as the one on IGI and then export your tree from GR and put on a program at home

michael2

michael2 Report 28 Nov 2008 23:01

hi glitter baby i also have a tree on ancestry can i do it on there. painterman

ChristineinPortugal

ChristineinPortugal Report 28 Nov 2008 23:27

You can only export your tree as a gedcom file from either Ancestry or GR.

You can save the gedcom but would need a software programme to be able to view it.

Christine

michael2

michael2 Report 28 Nov 2008 23:39

hi allthank you very much for the info painterman

lemons

lemons Report 21 Apr 2017 20:17

Hi I'm reading this post as I've benn trying to find a way that my family can view my tree. I've long been a member of GR and have been trying to do a free treebuilder on MyHeritage so that I can export my tree to it.
I see from comments here that I can only do that on Ancestry.is that correct.
Thanks Jane

Kense

Kense Report 21 Apr 2017 21:01

No lemons, the above comment about only GR or Ancestry refers to michael2's tree.

Any family history program should be able to import and export a gedcom.

What Ancestry can do is to synch with Family Tree Maker (when the problems have been sorted). That means that an on-line and off-line tree of your family is maintained You only have to update one of them and the updates are carried forth to the other.

It is expensive though at about £80 for FTM and about £150 per year for an Ancestry sub. You can have more than one tree though.

lemons

lemons Report 23 Apr 2017 14:48

Hi Kense
I'm member of GR and not intending to join Ancestery. I've been trying to register onto treebuilder On My Heritage so I can export myGR tree to them for my family to view..
Trouble getting registers though

lemons

lemons Report 23 Apr 2017 14:50

When I go to complete the form , they won't accept the name that I'm putting in for Site Address.

Kense

Kense Report 23 Apr 2017 22:11

I don't know details about MyHeritage but I expect the site name must be unique so you can't have a name that someone else is using. I suppose you just have to keep trying with more complex names (like you do when making an email address).