Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Coroners Report for Thomas Craddock

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gai

Gai Report 3 May 2011 02:00

Hi everyone ,

I have just received a death certificate for who I believe to be my gt gt gt grandfather Thomas Craddock. The certificate states found drowned on the 13 March 1855 in the Bridgewater Canal, Hulme and the informant on the certificate is the Manchester coroner.

I have searched the Manchester Times from the 1st March through to the end of 1855 and I can't find any reference to his death so I'm wondering if anyone knows if it is possible to obtain the coroners report.

I understand that maybe if he took his own life then the family may not have put anything in the newspapers to cast shame on the family.

Any help and ideas are greatly appreciated.

thanks Gai.

Cheshiremaid

Cheshiremaid Report 3 May 2011 02:35

You could email Manchester Archives to see if they can help...

[email protected]

Linda x

Gai

Gai Report 3 May 2011 02:42

Thanks Linda I will give them a try and fingers crossed I'll find some nugget of information to confirm he belongs to me.

Gai

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 3 May 2011 04:34

Gai

ask if they can find anything in ANY newspaper in their files

ask them to search for 2 or 3 weeks after the date of death, and then for 3-4 weeks after the inquest date. Also give them the name of the coroner.

My grandfather fell out of a train at a station in Oldham (near Manchester) ca 1875 ........... I thought there had only ever been one paper in Oldham, ad that is still in existence after some 150 years. So I asked the newspaper to do a search, no luck

Later I heard about the Local Archives Centre in Oldham, sent them an email .................... and they had some 10 or 12 newspapers in their archives, some had only been published for a matter of weeks or months

A lovely volunteer found the report on the event in one of those short-lived papers!

Then she copied the 2 pages involved for free, and sent them airmail for free. Just would not accept any payment at all!

sylvia

Gai

Gai Report 3 May 2011 06:35

Hi Sylvia,

Thanks for the suggestion as I have looked at the website that Linda gave me and according to them coroners reports where often destroyed.

Looking at the website there are a couple of other newspapers which may possibly contain information. I was going to try and join the library but it says you have to be a resident in the UK maybe I should try anyway and see what happens.

I might try contacting the library first and see what they have to say.

Thanks again
Gai

Janet

Janet Report 3 May 2011 07:58

There is a report about it in the Manchester Guardian 17/03/1855

verdict acciental death

if you would like a copy send me your email address and ill mail it to you

jan

Gai

Gai Report 3 May 2011 08:11

Thanks Janet I shall send you a pm.

Helen

Helen Report 22 Sep 2014 19:14

I have a Henry Craddock born about 1841 who lived in Scotland . Was born in England but lived in Scotland after he retired from the army.He was my great grandfather. He is supposed to hav a brother but nobody in the family knows anything about him.

JoonieCloonie

JoonieCloonie Report 22 Sep 2014 19:19

hi Helen, I looked at this thread because I have Craddocks in my tree too, mine from Northamptonshire :-)

this thread is very old and your Craddock is probably not related to the ones in this thread

you would do best to start a thread of your own -- on the Find Ancestors board rather than this one -- and say what info you have and what you are looking for in particular, and where you have looked (have you looked in censuses? do you know his father's name from his marriage certificate? etc.)

good luck!

edit, I see you have him in your tree as born 1841 Birmingham, do you know the other people who also have him in their trees?

edit

see the post I have put on Find Ancestors with the info I was digging up

(I have sent Helen a message about it)

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1344936

Gai

Gai Report 23 Sep 2014 09:26

Hi Helen

My Craddock's seemed to have moved to Manchester from Scotland.
I will have a look through the information I have gathered to see if I can help you at all.

Regards
Gai :-)