Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Puzzled about getting a certificate

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

William

William Report 20 Oct 2011 23:43

I have looked at getting a marriage certificate from Ireland. It is for a marriage of William Farrell and Annie Sheridan which took place on 17th September 1872 in Naas, Co. Kildare, Ireland. However when I go to the GROS for Nth Ireland it seems I can only order a certificate for an event post 1922 while trying to do the same thing on the Eire BDM site tells me I cannot obtain a certificate that predates 1922. Am I misinterpreting what the departments are saying and if so how do I go about getting what I need.
Thanks for any help,
Bill

**Ann**

**Ann** Report 21 Oct 2011 00:52

Office of the Registrar-General of Births, Deaths and Marriages
(General Register Office)
Joyce House
8-11 Lombard Street East
Dublin 2, Ireland
Phone: (011) (353) 1 6711000
Fax: (011) (353) 1 6354440

The General Register Office of Ireland has records of birth, marriage, and death occurring in all of Ireland from 1864 to December 31, 1921 and records from the Republic of Ireland (excluding the six north-eastern counties of Derry, Antrim, Down, Armagh, Fermanagh and Tyrone known as Northern Ireland) from January 1, 1922 on. The GRO also has records of non-Catholic marriages in Ireland from 1845. The indices are arranged in alphabetical order, and include the following information - Surname, Christian name, name of the registration district (also known as the 'Superintendent Registrar's District') in which the birth, marriage or death took place, volume and page number of the register in which the entry is recorded. Up to the end of 1877 the indices were arranged alphabetically, by year. From 1878 onwards each year was divided into quarters, January-March, April-June, July-September and October-December. The surnames for each quarter are listed alphabetically.

William

William Report 21 Oct 2011 01:29

Thank you for the quick response Ann. I have been to the Groireland (HSE) site and attempted to lodge an order online from Australia. All goes well till it gets to entering the event date. There is only a drop down box for the year but it has a lower limit of 1922 with seemingly no provision to enter a date earlier than that.
Bill

Oh dear,
on re-reading your post I see that you are in fact speaking of the Northern Ireland GRO holding the records pre 1922 for the whole of Ireland and just the six counties post 1922. I should be able to get the appropiate registration number then from "Findmy past". But surely those same BDM registrations are also held in Eire (apart from the six northern counties post 1922)
Bill

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Oct 2011 02:24

Co Kildare is in the republic, so N Ireland (i.e., GRONI) can't issue any cert.

There are time limits on what you can order online thru http://www.groireland.ie/

Marriages occurring in the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland from January 1920- December 1921
From 1922 - present, marriages occurring in the Republic of Ireland only.

Deaths occurring in the Republic of Ireland from 1924 - present

If you order by mail, you have the option of ordering the cheaper uncertified images of the rego see:
http://www.groireland.ie/

William

William Report 21 Oct 2011 03:19

Wow. That does seem to be a little behind the times. To have to order an image or certificate of an historical event by post rather than electronically does seem to be somewhat archaic. I wonder why they adopt that approach. Despite having all the details I still cannot find a reference or index number. It just seems so unnecessarily difficult.
Thanks,
Bill

mgnv

mgnv Report 21 Oct 2011 05:57

Well, I expect they're working back to let you order everything online, but just haven't gotten there yet. A year ago, I think there was no online ordering.

Potty

Potty Report 21 Oct 2011 15:23

familysearch has Irish BMD indexes - this looks like your Annie (there is an entry for William Farrell with the same vol and page No

name: Anne Sheridan
registration district: Naas
event type: MARRIAGES
registration quarter and year: 1872
volume number: 12
page number: 761

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 22 Oct 2011 23:38

You can send also send the form by fax, if that seems slightly less archaic.

http://www.groireland.ie/

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 23 Oct 2011 16:05

You could purchase an online transcript for 5 euros from:

http://ifhf.rootsireland.ie

but you seem to know some of the details, or at least the date, already.

Remember to use Anne Sheridan rather than Annie, and William Farrell 1872 and Kildare on the advanced search to get a hit.

William

William Report 30 Oct 2011 00:49

Thank you all for the suggestions and information. Sorry for the delay in replying but my gall badder packed it in and I am just back on deck after getting over emergency surgery.
Bill

Sandra

Sandra Report 2 Jul 2016 04:02

William Farrell is my Gt Grandfather I have a copy of the marriage from the church at
Naas ,if you contact me I can send you a copy.
Regards Patrick Farrell

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 2 Jul 2016 07:00

Patrick
The last posting was 2011 so it's unlikely that the poster will pick up your kind offer

You can try to make contact by clicking on Williams name and sending him a message