Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

using addresses to find ancestors?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 18 May 2012 23:26

If you have an address of Birth or from record offices outside year of census is it then possible to trace who was living at that address in nearest census

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 18 May 2012 23:37

Yes

Will depend on which site you use for your census search

Easier on FMP than Ancestry

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 2 Nov 2012 17:53

I couldn't do it it kept asking me for names and I wnted to find who had lived In elgin st birkenhead in 1901 . My grandma's baptism record gave that address not even a street number .I'll try at the library as I've not joined FMP .

greyghost

greyghost Report 2 Nov 2012 18:02

FMP shows 23 addresses in Elgin Street in 1901. I have had a look at a few and there appear to be 3 or 4 surnames living at each address, so not easy to copy out for you, probably would be easier for you to look yourself at the library

Kense

Kense Report 2 Nov 2012 19:05

Stuart, if you give Alisoun one of the names and age, then she could possibly search for that name on Ancestry to pinpoint Elgin Street and then look at the adjacent images until she finds the right address.

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 2 Nov 2012 20:42

A good idea KenSE. Stuart seems to have gone for the moment, so I'll step in.

Here are three random names living in Elgin Street on the 1901 census.

John Peacock - born 1878 - Liverpool

Walter Grace - born 1858 - Ireland

Charlotte H. Maxwell - born 1875 - Isle of Man

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Nov 2012 09:46

Alisoun..............

When was your grandmother born/baptised?

Her birth cert should give you more info than her baptism

Were her parents married?

Ken, Christina etc.........

Alisoun has stated that she doesn't have a house number

Kense

Kense Report 3 Nov 2012 10:46

Reggie, she doesn't need a house number as there are only 23 addresses in the street. That doesn't take long to search through.

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 3 Nov 2012 11:41

The point is that if she doesn't know the number, how will she identify the house and its occupants?

Clearly, they don't have the name with which her grandmother was born, or she'd have found them by doing a name search

jax

jax Report 3 Nov 2012 15:33

Everything is on this thread

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1300276

ChristinaS

ChristinaS Report 3 Nov 2012 16:11

Hmph.

Thanks jax :-)

jax

jax Report 3 Nov 2012 17:08

On the other thread you posted this on pg 3

Alisoun Report 19 Oct 2012 14:33
I now have baptism details for Maisie march 1900 .She is listed as maisie myriam roberts there.Her mother is called Lottie roberts on that record and listed as lving at Elgar st (no Number) so that is new leads to follow.

Which is the same street as Charlottes father and sister....So where have you suddenly got Elgin street from?

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 4 Nov 2012 04:27

sorry I missed that this thread was being followed
Jax I.ve corrected spelling on my other thread (getting dangerously close to repeating names on this thread .
Edgar road was the address Charlotte (unmarried) gave at maisies birth dec1889 where her sister and father continued to live for the next 8 years or so .
Elgin street was listed as her address on the Baptism papers march 1900
which makes sense as it's in walking distance of the church

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 4 Nov 2012 04:34

thanks christina , /stuart all
I did find some names for Elgin street from googling
david(dai) Williams. mr.Arden to add to Peacock and Grace
Now I'll have to cross check with my mum's research into Nimrod gardener who had a dozen children including Charlottes mother caroline
I'm hoping to find a Gardner aunty married to one of those names .
Thanks for supporting me in this unorthodox way to get details. I want to do something while I'm waiting for document can't believe it takes them a month to post from leeds records office. I went to Cheshire Office on a day of in June + put off trip to Leeds .(finally decided post would be more practical !)

Alisoun

Alisoun Report 7 Mar 2013 23:32

accidently found another way to find all the residents of Elgin Stree in 1900

looked through Gore's trade directory for liverpool +birkenhead

www.historicaldirectories

Brill i can use that on other searches though I didn't find any names that connected with my missing Charlotte Roberts

brigid

brigid Report 26 Nov 2013 21:00

I have followed Stuart 's instructions and found the free library access very helpful as you can go on FMP i looked at most of the addresses on Elgin street
the handwriting isn't always easy to follow but it was interesting to see the number of people in each house some have 6 or 7 boarders as well as family members
A lot seem to be in the ship-building business and there were several houses occupied by Davies families . I did find a tailor and dressmaker and have noted the names for future reference .

looking at 1 street gives an good insight into our relatives lives amongst their neighbours

brigid

brigid Report 27 Nov 2013 14:17

We also need to look at 1Menai st
which is given as the birth address .3 months before the baptism !

brigid

brigid Report 24 Apr 2014 07:40

Also try looking on chat boards under street names under street names .

I am keeping records of all the Birkenhead street names that crop up in my family;
Found 2 confirmations that newspaper reports were about the right person because it mentioned Fore street .
Greenfield St has cropped up a few times with the Gardner family more distant relatives .