Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Ancestry - what's happened!

Page 0 + 1 of 3

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gee

Gee Report 16 May 2013 06:51

Logged on this morning and the format has changed, for the worse :-(

It's like looking at a 'Janet & John' version of Ancestry

Just wondered what others think of the new, not improved look?

K

K Report 16 May 2013 07:11

Mine still looks the same!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 16 May 2013 07:27

Mine is OK too.
EDIT no it isn't - the home page is fine, but just having done a search, I see exactly what you mean! We'll get used to it though I suppose.
Jan

Persephone

Persephone Report 16 May 2013 10:10

Don't knock it till you have used it a few times Gins... most things take getting used to.

Just swear and have a smoke... she'll be right numpty..

Persie :-)

Gai

Gai Report 16 May 2013 10:14

When you are looking at a record you can select the Basic Viewer by going to the Image Tools drop down which is on the top right hand side of the screen.

Then select Switch to Basic Viewer.

Under Image Tools you can also rotate left or right etc.

Gai

Persephone

Persephone Report 16 May 2013 10:20

Gins probably doesn't do basics Gai.. but I am fairly certain she can swivel..

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 May 2013 10:24

Just made a random search - the only difference I can see is that collection and person's name in the result table are in bold.

Bearing in mind the average age of the user, if it makes things clearer, it's probably a good move.

Just in case someone has a case of the twitchy finger, OP copied here..
Logged on this morning and the format has changed, for the worse

It's like looking at a 'Janet & John' version of Ancestry

Just wondered what others think of the new, not improved look?

Just looked at a census image - can't see anything that could cause a problem. When they trialed the rotate, flip etc posted along the top grey line, I never used it any way although it could be useful for f(a,e)int images.

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 May 2013 10:29

Awful...but I need help!!

It may be because I now have Chrome and always had IE ( pc problem necessitated change and son hasn't changed me back lol)

but I can't save anything? I used to right click and save images to 'my pics' or documents....and now I can't?

Can anyone put me out of my misery please ?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 May 2013 10:31

'Save' button at the top right of the page? 'Save to my computer'

With Firefox, I can still do 'save image as ' with a right click

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 May 2013 10:36

I tried that DET and yes it saved the first image ( military record ) but when I try to save the subsequent images I get this coming up

" we're sorry this record can't be saved to your tree because it isn't indexed...." you can book mark it on an overview page...but I don't want to do that as I am just trying to attach it to an email ...not my family.

I tried with right click save as, but the image is totally blacked out when opened :-(

Gai

Gai Report 16 May 2013 10:37

Poor Gins, don't listen to Persie as she is very cheeky.

Not sure if I can help you RamblingRose as I'm using a Mac.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 16 May 2013 11:05

I think I've had that happen in the past - I ended up printing it out and scanning back in again :-|

Could you send an email invite to the person you're helping? Or C&P the link? Not sure how that one would work though if they aren't members

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 May 2013 11:08

Thanks DET I think I may have to print and scan as you say, I have done that in the past.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 16 May 2013 12:24

The hew format is awful not as clear or clean cut ....looks cheap!!!

Andrew

Andrew Report 16 May 2013 12:36

You can email an image direct. Click the 'more' button top right of the screen and there is an email tab in the drop down list. Saving copying the image.

Andy

K

K Report 16 May 2013 14:36

Oh dear - mine hasn't changed at all. Am I stuck in the old version?

Kay

lancashireAnn

lancashireAnn Report 16 May 2013 15:03

I find the new font on the results page not as easy to read and what was the box with the search details on too small

It does claim to be faster and I think even with my very slow broadband it was

Gee

Gee Report 16 May 2013 16:23

Hi Guys......and Pers :-P

I agree with the lot of you, me no like it at all but I guess I'll have to get used to it

Kemp, I agree, it looks cheap and the margin down the left hand side of the page is too big and it distracts from the results info

Tenerife Sun

Tenerife Sun Report 16 May 2013 17:07

I'm using chrome and I can right click and use save as... from the menu

Astra

Astra Report 16 May 2013 17:33

I use Chrome too and there have been no changes that I can see.