Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Help

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 3 Mar 2014 13:06

Can anyone give me some advice please. I know my grandfathers parents had four children, one in 1899 -1899, my grandfather in 1901, his sister in 1905. All three born in Walsall, Staffordshire. On 1901 census there are no children , but on the 1911 it says 4 born, two still living. I know sometime after 1905 they moved to Aston/ Solihull area. I have looked through pages & pages of birth & death pages but I just do not seem to be able to find the missing one. Any suggestions would be most helpful. Chris

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Mar 2014 13:52

How common is the surname? Use the site Reggie posted and list all deaths ( first)in that surname and age range that fit your search criteria then cross reference those with all the birth to try and identify all the possibles, Also look to see which births can be eliminated through finding them with family on the 1901/11 census with children.

Then look for burial records for the children on your short list to see who is listed as their father/parent

You could also as Reggie said post the 1911 census details

Roy

Christine

Christine Report 3 Mar 2014 14:26

In 1911 census Pratt family ;- John Herbert Pratt born 1873 in Heddon Yorkshire, married to Edith Lizzie Eden, children Jack Pratt born April 1901, Kathleen Mary Pratt born 3rd quarter 1905. Both born in Walsall. not on census Herbert William F Pratt born 1899 -1899. My great grandparents moved from Walsall, staffs to Aston/ Solihull after 1905. Another child was born to them in 1915 called Frank. I just do not seem to be able to find who other child was. Chris :-(

Christine

Christine Report 3 Mar 2014 14:49

Hi Reggie, that is all correct, but I still need to try and find the other child. I have just had a quick look on the West midlands site, but from 1899 -1904 I have drawn blanks even for my grandfather Jack Pratt 1901. I have the birth / death certificate for Herbert William F Pratt born 1899 -1899.

Christine

Christine Report 3 Mar 2014 14:56

Could that child be one Joseph born September 1900 in Walsall, died September 1901 in Walsall aged 1 year ?

Christine

Christine Report 3 Mar 2014 15:47

Hi, I ruled the Lily one out as I was told my great grandparents lived in Walsall from after they got married in 1897 until they moved between 1906 -1911

Christine

Christine Report 3 Mar 2014 15:48

I have been trying to match a child`s birth & death from 1906 - 1911 in the Aston/ Solihull area`s , but not got anywhere with that either.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 3 Mar 2014 16:51

Christine, You cannot rule anything out. based on what you have been told

What you were told and what actualy happened can get confused over the years and also are you recieving that info second hand? or was the person who told you old enough to be their remember the actual marriage?

rule of thumb for researching your family history is to ask the questions and listen to the anwer but be prepared to accept dates, places and names do get confused over time

Remember the old saying the message was sent

"Send reinforcements - we're going to advance"

And arrived as

"Send three and fourpence we're going to a dance"

Roy

mgnv

mgnv Report 3 Mar 2014 18:56

1911 Census Reference RG14PN18691 RG78PN1115 RD392 SD1 ED53 SN205
Registration District SOLIHULL
Registration Sub-District: Solihull

There are no child Pratt deaths in Solihull 1902-1911 incl

Christine

Christine Report 7 Mar 2014 11:23

Hi all, I have enquired about the Lily Pratt born September 1898 , died Sep 1898, it is not a match. I have had it confirmed by the registrar for that area. So again I am no further ahead in my search for the missing link. Any idea`s anyone out there? :-(

Catherine

Catherine Report 10 Mar 2014 10:04

Help!
I have been trying to find a death of Florence Elizabeth Pestell. She was born in 1911 and had a twin sister Catherine Esther Pestell ( my mother) who married Alfred Taverner. I have looked on marriages as well as death records with no joy.
Regards
Catherine

Christine

Christine Report 10 Mar 2014 10:52

:-( I requested help the other day from anyone who was out there. I have drawn a blank with Lily Pratt born September 1898 , died September 1898 . I checked it with Sandwell registrars and it is not a match with the parents. I know there were for siblings , as I said before I have found three, born 1899 -1899, Jack Pratt born 1901, & Kathleen born 1905 , all born in Walsall. Please is there anyone out there that could possibly help me. :-(

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Mar 2014 11:21

Just a thought - might they have been still born? From the mother's point of view she had given birth to 4 children, but legally (and as per the census instructions) if they didn't take a breathe then there was no need for a birth & death certificate.

The 1911 was the first census which the householder had to complete themselves - they didn't always follow the instructions properly. I've seen one where the deceased children have been named, but struck off by the enumerator

Christine

Christine Report 10 Mar 2014 11:38

Hi, Thanks you for that information. It does state in the 1911 census 4 children born, 2 deceased. My great grandparents married in West Bromwich in 1897, their first son was born in 1899-1899, then my grandfather Jack was born in 1901, and his sister Kathleen Mary in 1905. Sometime after 1905 -1911 the family moved to Solihull. I have tried to cross check all births & deaths , but I have sadly come up with nothing. :-(

Mary

Mary Report 10 Mar 2014 16:15

There is another Joseph Pratt born Walsall O/N/D 1897 6b 769 no sign of a death for him or on 1901 census.

The one born 1900 died 1901 was to John and Mary Ann Pratt.

John Herbert Pratt 1873-1938 to John William Pratt died 1874 and Hannah Susan Vine 1843 -1927
dad of John William Pratt was ?? Joseph Brown Pratt born Deptford kent died 1891.

Maryb.

Christine

Christine Report 10 Mar 2014 19:32

Hi, Mary, Thank you for the information you have given me. I have all of what you have given me, but I will check out the Joseph Pratt born in Walsall in 1897 & let you know how I get on. Regards Chris

mgnv

mgnv Report 11 Mar 2014 07:47

+++DetEcTive+++ - Re: The 1911 was the first census which the householder had to complete themselves.

Not even close to correct!!

Here's some blurb from Ancestry's 1841 search page:
http://search.ancestry.co.uk/search/db.aspx?dbid=8978

Enumeration forms were distributed to all households a couple of days before census night and the completed forms were collected the next day. If the head of the house was illiterate or had any problems completing the form the enumerator would assist as much as necessary. All of the details from the individual forms were later sorted and copied into enumerators' books, which are the records we can view images of today. The original householders’ schedules from 1841 to 1901 were destroyed.