Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Scotland searches??

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Michelle

Michelle Report 13 Mar 2014 19:25

I paid for a month to look up some of my own relatives, but yesterday i was trying to find some info on my daughters boyfriends family as he knows very little about them and needs to apply for some birth certificates and marriage certificates for his first passport, came to a stand still trying to find his dads birth records (dad had a stroke so not much help) there was so many people with the same name born in the same year, but today he said his dad was from Dumfies......does genes reunited not hold Scottish record??..... also i tried to find his mums death info but cant find anything in either her maiden name nor the 2 married names she had....what a nightmare for him just to get a passport poor lad
Any help in pointing me in the right direction please
Michelle

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 13 Mar 2014 19:48

You need Scotlandspeople for Scottish BMD records

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

Roy

Michelle

Michelle Report 13 Mar 2014 20:04

Thanks for that both of you, i will take a peek now.

Michelle

Michelle Report 13 Mar 2014 20:27

well i found someone who matches the name/dob...so paid for some credits, but all it shows is name and dob which is what i already know, i was hoping to get mothers maiden name ect like on this site, am i doing something wrong??

Kay????

Kay???? Report 13 Mar 2014 21:04

Scotlands births carry a 100 year closure so all information cant be viewed Michelle,the only way to find details from the birth certificate is that you will need to take the full indexed entry and order it.cost is £12.

Marriages have a 75 year closure,

Deaths 50 years.

any event within the above years cant be viewed online.

any event years outside the restrictions can be viewed and downloaded.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 16 Mar 2014 14:51

Unless I am reading this wrong, if his mother was UK born, then he only needs his mother's birth certificate?

From the passport website

"You must send your birth or adoption certificate and either:

your mother’s or father’s UK birth certificate, Home Office certificate of registration/naturalisation, a British passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born or a British passport number for either parent (which you must put in section 4 of the application form)
evidence of one of your parents’ immigration status in the UK at the time of your birth (eg a foreign passport belonging to one of your parents that was valid when you were born)

If you send documents related to your father, you must also send your parents’ marriage certificate (unless you were born or adopted on or after 1 July 2006 or adopted by a same-sex couple). "

jax

jax Report 16 Mar 2014 15:59

My daughter is applying for her 1st adult passport....what a palaver

She lives with her dad but needed my passport number....it expired 6 years ago so don't know if that is much good

Then she is sending her dads birth cert so it says she had to have our marriage cert.....which I had so that had to be sent to her

Glad we didn't need all this 30 odd years ago when I applied for mine as I am sure it would of been a nightmare getting the documents from my parents easily

This is in England not Scotland

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Mar 2014 16:23

For Michelle or any other new user of ScotlandsPeople, who may not realise this:

If you look someone up, and then later find you want to look them up again, don't do a new search, as the site will charge you for it again. Instead, click on "Previous Searches" at the top of the page, and you can see what you found before, without having to spend credits again.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 16 Mar 2014 17:04

Same rules for UK passport applications apply in Scotland as England............................. at the moment and will hopefully remain so.

Michelle

Michelle Report 17 Mar 2014 17:35

Thanks everyone, i will see how he goes with sending dads birth cert and marriage cert, although when i rang again today i was once again told he needed his grandparents names and birth dates, like someone above said, what a palava!!!

jax

jax Report 17 Mar 2014 17:54

My daughter hasn't asked me for my parents info....I know she wouldn't know it without asking for it....if her dads tree is anything to go by, he hasn't got either of his parents year of births correct....so he would be no good for his side :-D