Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FMP

Page 0 + 1 of 4

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joseph

Joseph Report 22 Mar 2014 17:14

They've changed their format.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 22 Mar 2014 17:19

Yes - I got an email from them on 17th of this month telling me about the "new" site.

I'm still managing to access the old format by using my usual link in favourites.

Kath. x

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 23 Mar 2014 06:26

Yes and to me its not for the better either.

It's too long winded now getting to records if you don't have much info to start with

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 23 Mar 2014 09:09

They have been warning us about this for weeks.............

I access them via 'favourites' and am able still to use the 'old' format.

No doubt that will not last - they will want us all to be on the 'new' site.

WHY do these people have such a need to make changes to things which work perfectly well........................

Inky1

Inky1 Report 23 Mar 2014 15:36

WHY????

Because many IT people do not have a real job, thus they need to justify their own existence.

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 23 Mar 2014 15:57

I really do not like the new format - the phrase "Long Road For a Short Cut" come to mind :-(

jax

jax Report 23 Mar 2014 16:40

Its still the same for me....but I do have this banner at the top of the page with I am leaving well alone at the moment

The new findmypast is coming!
If you would like to be one of the first to experience what the new findmypast has to offer you can join the queue here. Find out more.

There are also lots of complaints about Ancestrys New Search......I have only ever used the New Search so it hasn't made any difference to me

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 23 Mar 2014 17:21

It's the same on Ancestry.......progress for progress sake - we have listened to our members etc etc etc...and now it is cumbersome useless etc etc etc....just like GR when they blocked the old tree

jax

jax Report 23 Mar 2014 17:46

I cannot say there is anything wrong with Ancestrys new search as I have used it for 4 years no problem......They bought out the new search 5 years ago so surely anyone with any sense would think at some stage the old one would be going??

I am sure when I get transferred over to the new FMP I wont like it at first.....but within time it should be ok

No real moans about Genes tree now....so has everyone just gone elsewhere....or just got on with it??

HeyJudeB4Beatles

HeyJudeB4Beatles Report 23 Mar 2014 17:56

Jax - have always used old search on Ancestry - it "did what is says on the packet"....new search is c""p in comparison; maybe you can get there in the end but it's so much harder.

Can't comment on GR as I gave up when they imposed the new tree on everybody...my mum's still living on it :-(

Just think on Ancestry that there is so much you CAN'tT do jow that you could before..hence reason I have been quiet helping on here

jax

jax Report 23 Mar 2014 18:23

As I said I have always used the new search for helping on here and elsewhere.....I don't see it as cr*p

I did come across the old search once after seeing people mention it and tried it....guess what I thought it was cr*p

Its what you get used to, I suppose

I cant comment on GR tree either...I gave up after a month with the old tree and went elsewhere

I don't know what you cant do now as to what you could do before.....maybe I have spent the last 4 years missing somethng :-S :-S

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 23 Mar 2014 20:04

Why alter something which has worked well for years??????
Liz

Kense

Kense Report 24 Mar 2014 08:05

"Why alter something which has worked well for years??????"

Because the data that is being searched has increased many times over that period. If the system is not adjusted to optimise searches and to limit the searches to records that are appropriate, then the searches would take an unacceptable period of time.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Mar 2014 09:22

Am getting in to FMP old format via the link saved on my PC

My I pad though takes me to the new format

so If I go around in circles on the I pad I leave it till I can get on the PC

Liz 47

Liz 47 Report 24 Mar 2014 11:43

You cannot find the mother's maiden name on a birth now - Liz

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Mar 2014 13:55

I've just been transferred to the new format - and I DON'T LIKE IT!

Seems to be much more confusing. If I find it confusing how on earth do newbies find their way round it?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 29 Mar 2014 15:06

I do so agree with you

I know new updates can get time to adjust too and sometimes people just dont want to alter what they are used too BUT!!!!!!!!

I am open to things that can be altered upwards and often these become the norm and are a vast improvement on previous setups . I really though ,as an experienced researcher am finding it difficult to find my way around this new setup.

I had previously viewed some old army records but didnt download them as I could easily access them again if needed .Am now going around in circles trying to find them again. They were for my paternal grandma second husbands brother but did give some interesting facts on that family . They are still family to my dad as he had half siblings by that second marriage

I am finding the new FMP format VERY frustrating .goodness knows how you find links if you have limited search criteria to start with. The new search seems to surmise you know more than you may do

Graham

Graham Report 29 Mar 2014 15:10

They're thinking about having chat boards on FMP now (just don't tell the RRer ;-) )

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 29 Mar 2014 15:20

Shirley ( name change on way?)

I'm not at all surprised you can't find the records. I've had another go and it is very difficult to find the record sets. Especially difficult if you just want to see if FMP have them - let alone find them. Some of the lists take ages to download.

I'm really not looking forward to trying to help my library group with this. :-|

Graham - you just have! ;-)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 30 Mar 2014 14:13

Its awful......

Just looked at it for the first time in a few weeks.

And I do not like the new view on the census pages. Old version much better.