Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Indexing help needed! Sat 29th March 2014

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Denise

Denise Report 23 Mar 2014 21:53

If you have an hour or so to spare this coming Saturday 29th March, then please come along to the "Indexathon" being held from 7am-7pm at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, Goring Street, Worthing, BN12 6NT. Help is needed by genealogy enthusiasts to index worldwide public records (e.g. London electoral rolls etc), so that they will be available to everyone over the Internet. No prior experience needed as training will be given throughout the day. Where possible, please bring your own laptop (unfortunately the software won't work with tablets and smart phones at the moment). Food provided.

If anyone would like to help who doesn't live near Worthing...then please do.
You can Index from your own home.
Download the Indexing programme from www.familysearch.org and follow the instructions.
I started with easy English records, but you could be adventurous!
Please let me know the total amount you manage to index so that I can add it to our target for the day. Thanks!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Mar 2014 22:06

Sounds a good cause, regardless of one's religious beliefs. Hope you/they get enough people (and plenty of power sockets!)

if you are involved, have you postered the local library, FH society and other places where like-minded/interested people gather?

Denise

Denise Report 23 Mar 2014 22:20

Thanks for the good wishes and the good advice.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 23 Mar 2014 22:29

I'm not in England but I hope you get a good attendance.
I do indexing for familysearch over the internet and I think it's a really good cause. Their service may not be perfect but it's excellent and free.
Last week I got a copy of my great-great-grandfather's baptism cert. off them, as far as I know not online anywhere and a real find for me - again totally free.
They deserve all the assistance they can get.
Good luck!

Denise

Denise Report 23 Mar 2014 22:42

I did my first 5 batches of indexing online tonight!
Thank you for doing the same where you are.
We have set a target of 200,000 names.
I'm glad that family search has been helpful for you.
All the best for your research.

Denise

Denise Report 24 Mar 2014 22:31

Let me know if anyone wants more info on the event.

Gee

Gee Report 25 Mar 2014 11:01

Nudging up

Would love to help out but I'm up norf

Good luck on the day

:-)

Denise

Denise Report 25 Mar 2014 21:38

Shame you're not down south.

Cheers anyway!

:-D

Denise

Denise Report 26 Mar 2014 18:50

If anyone would like to help who doesn't live near Worthing...then please do.
You can Index from your own home.
Download the Indexing programme from www.familysearch.org and follow the instructions.
I started with easy English records, but you could be adventurous :-)
Please let me know the total amount you manage to index so that I can add it to our target for the day. Thanks!

Denise

Denise Report 27 Mar 2014 20:15

Not long to go now!

Denise

Denise Report 28 Mar 2014 21:46

Tomorrow's the big day!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 29 Mar 2014 08:47

Let us know how things go :-)

Denise

Denise Report 29 Mar 2014 18:10

I've just got home. A busy day. There is still an hour to go.
Lots of people came throughout the day. The place was buzzing!
Some people came for just an hour and others stayed for most of the day. I was surprised at the range of age groups about 12 years to 80+ years and everything in between.
We won't know the total figure until later tonight, or even tomorrow.
I'll let you know how many names were indexed.
The indexing of names should make things so much easier for everyone in the long run. The records will be available to everyone (free of charge) via Familysearch.