Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Michael Murphy

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

CDU

CDU Report 23 Mar 2014 22:28

Hi i have been trying to get info on Michael Patrick Murphy a Sergeant in
the Royal Engineers . Service No 1877468. Died in Germany in 06/ 07/ 1946
buried in Hanover War Cemetery.
He was my wife's farther she was 3 months old when he died.
Thank you Colin.

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 23 Mar 2014 22:45

I THINK as his next of kin!!!! she can apply for his army records I think they cost about £30 .....but lots of peeps on here have done it so will help your more

What other info do you want?

CDU

CDU Report 23 Mar 2014 22:57

Hi thank you for reply . I will apply for army records .We would like to know
how he died.
Regards CDU

KempinaPartyhat

KempinaPartyhat Report 23 Mar 2014 23:12

you must look into the details as if your wife isnt next of kin by birth they may not issue them to you

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 24 Mar 2014 06:40

He must have been on war service still as he is listed on the CWGC site

MURPHY, MICHAEL

Serjeant
Service No:
Date of Death:
06/07/1946
Regiment/Service:
Royal Engineers

624 Field Park Coy.
Grave Reference
14. G. 11.
Cemetery
HANOVER WAR CEMETERY
Additional Information:
Husband of Margaret M. M. Murphy, of Hampstead, London.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Mar 2014 09:44

You don't need to be next of kin to apply for his service record

This link contains everything you need to know and has the forms required in order to apply for his records

see https://www.gov.uk/requests-for-personal-data-and-service-records

Roy

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Mar 2014 10:57

You should be able to order the death certificate using the details below from
http://www.gro.gov.uk/GRO/content/certificates/default.asp

Armed Forces registration event: Death

Name: MURPHY, Michale
Unit: Royal Engineers
Number: 1877468
Year: 1946
Volume: 10
Page: 264
Record source: GRO War Death Army Other Ranks (1939 to 1948)

You should enter details as shown

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Mar 2014 11:02

It's worth noting that as he died in service a death certificate is not required in order to apply for his service record

Roy

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Mar 2014 11:13

CDU wants to know cause of death, (not obvious from first post) which will be on death certificate. So Service Records not required for that detail but may obviously give much more info about Michael in the long run. Death certificate will arrive within a few days of ordering and cost £9.25, Service records I understand take months to arrive.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Mar 2014 11:26

Stuart, I beg to differ,

Death certificates for service personnel who died in conflict do NOT give "much more info"

His death cert will give date and location of death, that doesn't mean actual location, it could just say "western europe"

cause of death will simply be one of several such as, died as a result of enemy action or killed in action, or accident, and possibly presumed dead plus several other discriptions but nothing specific,

Edit, As his death was in 1946 and the war ended in 1945 it's possible his death was due to an "Accident" ?

Although it may not give much info it's still worth having the death cert in relation to documentary evidence in support of your family tree

Roy

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Mar 2014 13:18

This may be relevant?

HANOVER WAR CEMETERY

Historical Information

Many of the graves in Hanover War Cemetery were brought in from prisoner of war camp cemeteries, small German cemeteries and from isolated positions in the surrounding country.

The cemetery contains 2,407 Commonwealth burials of the Second World War, 62 of them unidentified. There are also 39 non-war burials and 10 war graves of other nationalities, most of them Polish.

Roy

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 24 Mar 2014 14:04

The cause of death will be on the death cert - not necessarily on the service records.

They are likely just to say 'deceased' and the date.

greyghost

greyghost Report 24 Mar 2014 14:43

Porkie Pie - I did not suggest that

Death certificates for service personnel who died in conflict do NOT give "much more info" than Service records

What I said was

CDU wants to know cause of death, (not obvious from first post) which will be on death certificate. So Service Records not required for that detail but may obviously give much more info about Michael in the long run. Death certificate will arrive within a few days of ordering and cost £9.25, Service records I understand take months to arrive.

ie Service records were not required to ascertain the cause of death, that would be found on the death certificate BUT the Service Records may give "much more info" in the long run about Michael generally.

Porkie_Pie

Porkie_Pie Report 24 Mar 2014 15:34

Stuart, And i never said you did, Edit, I was refering to death certificates NOT having more info
Both the service record and the death cert will not answer the question asked,

questions asked
Hi i have been trying to get info on Michael Patrick Murphy

CDU did NOT ask for the cause of death he said "We would like to know
how he died"

Quote, So Service Records not required for that detail but may obviously give much more info about Michael in the long run"

Most service records when it comes to cause of death say the same thing as on the death certs, Most likely a simple "died of wounds" thats because the death and service records are compiled from the same documentation "war returns"

See mgnv's post on this thread re war returns for deaths

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/military_chat/thread/1338661

The point is the death cert will not tell CDU how he died ie the circumstances and nether will his service records,

The death cert as indicated in my earlier post is unlikely to be specific as to cause of death and will only give a brief discription as i also said before the only exeption to that would be due to his death being in 1946 but as he is listed as a war death that's unlikely

also as stated above,... Although it may not give much info it's still worth having the death cert in relation to documentary evidence in support of your family tree

Roy