Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Lunatic Asylum records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

John

John Report 1 Apr 2014 19:00

I know this subject topic may confuse a few people. but I may have found a relative that was a staff member at the Essex County Lunatic Asylum in 1911, all signs point to it being her, the age (out by a mere month), place of birth etc, but except from contacting the council as the place has now closed down, can anyone suggest where I can look to see if I can find out more information about this woman, as being from the English side of my family, it is a lot harder to research with me being in Scotland, I know very little about her

Thank you

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Apr 2014 19:45

Hello John, perhaps if you gave us her details then those of us south of the border might be able to help you?

I'm a little puzzled when you say her age is out by a mere month - I haven't previously seen a UK 1911 census record with an adult age in years and months.

jax

jax Report 1 Apr 2014 20:32

Is that the one in Brentwood known as Warley?

Yes there is a nice housing estate there now.....I knew people who worked there in the 1980s though not much use to you

John

John Report 1 Apr 2014 20:33

Sorry

Jane E Biggs was born 11/05/1887 in Headinggton, Oxfordshire to George Biggs and Eliza Ann Gunning, in 1891 and 1901 census she appears at the family home but in the 1911 census, there is a Jane Biggs, at the Essex County Lunatic Asylum, born in Oxford.

What I mean in regards to her age being out by a single month is the 1911 census was taken on 2nd April 1911 and jane would be 24 at that time, but on the 11/05/1911, she would turn 25, the age that is on the census return

Sorry for not supplying the details at the time

jax

jax Report 1 Apr 2014 20:36

Household transcription
1911 census

Printer friendly version Report transcription change Search criteria used
Person: BIGGS, Jane
Institution: Essex County Lunatic Asylum, ESSEX COUNTY LUNATIC ASYLUM

BIGGS, Jane Staff Single F 25 1886 Nurse Essex County Lunatic Asylum Oxford VIEW

RG number: RG14
Piece: 10015
Reference: RG14PN10015 RD193 SD1 ED20 SN9999
Registration District: Billericay
Sub District: Brentwood
Enumeration District: 20
Parish: South Weald
Address: Brentwood Essex
County: Essex

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 1 Apr 2014 20:44

I think it's very likely to be her really - one year out is nothing, especially if you consider that it would have been filled out by the 'manager' who had quite a few names to deal with!
I can't see another Jane who fits in 1901 or 1891.
Jan

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Apr 2014 10:14

Any surviving records are held at the Essex Record Office.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=2413&page=74

There is a link to it from the page OR

http://www.essex.gov.uk/Libraries-Archives/Record-Office/Pages/Record-Office.aspx