Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Soldier !!

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tom

Tom Report 1 Apr 2014 21:30

Hi Folks

I have marriage cert for 1880 with the father given as a soldier, advice on how to find this person please.

Regards

Tom

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Apr 2014 21:47

Tom, you could start by giving us details of the people who were getting married and the name of the father who was the soldier.

Could then check the military records.

Tom

Tom Report 1 Apr 2014 22:08

Hi MarieCeleste

I did not give any details because I have posted a request for help in finding
this person a John Galloway previously on the Find ancestors board, since getting the birth cert and finding the father was a soldier I'd like try and find him

Without any luck

The dates of the postings were 02/02/14 and 12/ 02 14.

The marriage cert is for Robert Galloway born 1854 Bloomsbury London Middx
to Emma Baigent in June 1880 at St Giles London Middx.

Mother is listed as Catherine Galloway, and i cannot find any info on the 1861 census of the family, but can find Catherine as a widow and Robert aged 17
on the 1871 census
Catherine was born in Ireland I'm lead to believe plus I can't find her marriage to John either, possible in Ireland

Regards

Tom

patchem

patchem Report 1 Apr 2014 22:31

This one?

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/ancestors/thread/1336880

Tom

Tom Report 1 Apr 2014 22:39

Hi patchem

Yes that's one of them

Tom

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 1 Apr 2014 23:06

Tom, it's much easier for us to help you if you add your request to the thread that has the background information - we then have the info we need to hand.

jax

jax Report 1 Apr 2014 23:08

This man could well have been made up on the marriage cert

Tom

Tom Report 1 Apr 2014 23:14

MarieCeleste

My apologies

Jax

I'm quite confused, why would the registrar do that ???

Tom

jax

jax Report 1 Apr 2014 23:16

The bride and groom give the details and if they want to give false information that is up to them, no one is going to check it

My gt grandmother said her father was Edward Webster.... carpenter

Took me ages to find out she was actually illigitamate and this man did not exsist

Tom

Tom Report 1 Apr 2014 23:24

Yes OK

But the confusing part of it all is that many people on here and the other sites
are always advising you need the cert..........!!

Thanks Jax

Regards

Tom

jax

jax Report 1 Apr 2014 23:30

Yes the cert can help if it is truthful......most were but obviously some were not

I have another one who named her grandfather as her father on her marriage cert....maybe he was who she believed was her dad? I had a choice of about 5 daughters to see who she belonged to....although her grandparents said she was grand daughter on the census they may not have told her they were? she never lived with her mother on any census

Tom

Tom Report 2 Apr 2014 09:45

Good Morning Jax

Many thanks for your information and taking the time to explain
it is much appreciated........!!

Kind regards

Tom