Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

family tree

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

michael2

michael2 Report 3 Apr 2014 23:32

I have just imported my tree from ancestry I find that a lot of dates etc are missing tried to enter them and find I cannot find how to save them how do I . thank you

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 4 Apr 2014 00:32

Are you talking about this site or another program?

Rose

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 4 Apr 2014 08:49

There is a 'save' button at the bottom of the page........if it isn't immediately visible, scroll the page.

michael2

michael2 Report 4 Apr 2014 10:57

hi thank you for your reply's I have tried to scroll down the page but it stops short of the save button so iam not able to save it . don't know what else to try. thank you.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 4 Apr 2014 13:12

The system of using the GEDCOM to transfer data from one tree to another is not an exact tool.

It was designed by the Mormon Church for their own use and was subsequently taken up by many family genealogists and genealogy sites. So because of this it is not necessary 'compatible' to all our programmes.

And the GEDCOM will not transfer photes etc., just the basic info. And I know when I transferred mine off here to Ancestry, I lost about 15-20 people.

So although the 'missing' data is annoying, it is still quicker than doing it all again from scratch.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2014 15:16

Try to reduce the size of the font to see if the 'save' button reappears

Hold the Crtl then tap - (minus) to reduce the size.
Ctrl and + to increase it.

michael2

michael2 Report 4 Apr 2014 16:19

thank you DetEtive I will try that. Michael . :-D :-D

Sonya

Sonya Report 5 Apr 2014 23:24

It's on the help menu under FAQ's.
You need to turn off the compatibility view. I had the same problem with the save button and this advice fixed it.

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/help/faqs?key=385

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 6 Apr 2014 17:19

Dates, in particular can cause problem when transferring via gedcom files as some genealogy sites and tree program are sensitive to how they are formatted.

Having experimented previously I find that using the format 01 Jan 1921, with no separators other than a space, causes the fewest problems.