Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Inquest 1894

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Val

Val Report 4 Apr 2014 15:24

How can I find and inquest for a Benjamin Cox died 02.02.1894 his inquest was 05.02.1894 would there been anywhere I could see it
It also said he was of Walton is that place near Brosley, Shopshire

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 4 Apr 2014 15:58

First things first, for our clarification

Deaths Mar 1894 (>99%)
Cox Benjamin 46 Wellington, Sh. 6a 581

According to Googlemaps, Walton Shrops is 4 miles by (modern) road from Brosley.

Inquest records don't usually survive - the best bet is to search the British Newspaper Archive to see if they have a newspaper article about his death, or if that comes up as a blank then to contact the nearest library/record centre which holds old newspapers

Val

Val Report 4 Apr 2014 16:39

Thank you so much for the info

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 6 Apr 2014 10:37

When looking for newspaper reports on inquests, do not discount any which may turn up not in the area.

And if in local newspapers it will be very close to the date of death.

Inquests and trials were the bread and butter of all local newspapers right up to the 1960's so if you are lucky it could be more that just a few lines.

My own research into a suicide in London turned up a report in Liverpool only!!