Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Buried

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

zoe

zoe Report 10 Apr 2014 17:02

Can anyone tell me if I can find where someone is buried in the uk , I am trying to find a friends relative who died in the mid 60's .
I would be grateful for any advice that would help me to find her .

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 10 Apr 2014 17:10

If you know where the deceased lived at the time of death then the cemetery nearest to that address would be the first place to start looking. Some cemeteries have their burial records on computer and if you have the exact date of death (you would get this and the last address from the death certificate) then it would be reasonably easy to see whether or not they are buried in that cemetery.

Kath. x

zoe

zoe Report 10 Apr 2014 17:21

We only know of the district of Bristol in 1965 on the records it's saying 2nd quarter so I presuming April , May June time .so if I ordered the death certificate I would be able to find out the location of the church as it would have an address of some sort on , yes . And can I see the death cert online ? Thank you for your help .

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 10 Apr 2014 17:49

You can only see cert details if you purchase a copy

The cert will tell you where the deceased died, and his/her last address, which may not have been where he/she actually died

Unlikely that a 1960's burial would be in a churchyard...............and he/she may have been cremated, or buried/cremated somewhere other than where he/she lived.

When you get the cert, and discover the area of Bristol..................google for cemeteries in the area, and contact them to see whether they are able/willing to offer assistance

zoe

zoe Report 10 Apr 2014 17:58

Ok thank you Reggie

zoe

zoe Report 10 Apr 2014 23:47

Thanks Joan , the relative I'm looking for was a baby who died of cot death and I have very few details .

Paul Barton, Special Agent

Paul Barton, Special Agent Report 11 Apr 2014 16:56

http://www.deceasedonline.com/

Deceased Online is the first central database of statutory burial and cremation registers for the UK and Republic of Ireland -- a unique resource for family history researchers and professional genealogists.

Until now, to search these records you had to approach about 3,000 burial authorities and over 250 crematoria in the UK alone, each independently holding their own registers, mostly as old fragile books. No official central repository exists.

Deceased Online is changing this. We are making it possible for burial and cremation authorities around the country to convert their register records, maps and photographs into digital form and bring them together into a central searchable collection.

Our growing database, holding records mainly from the 1850s onwards, can provide invaluable information for researching family trees, and can reveal previously unknown family links from other interments recorded in the same grave.

The site was launched in July 2008, and over the coming months and years we will be building a substantial database of tens of millions of burial and cremation records. We are continually adding data from all over the UK as new burial authorities and crematoria join, so keep checking. We have provided a page here where you can see easily whose data was added and when, and what information is available in each case.

Searching is FREE, and can be restricted as required to country, region, county, or individual burial authority or crematorium. If you register with Deceased Online here, you will be able to purchase vouchers online, which you can spend to access further information associated with any of the found records

Gwyn in Kent

Gwyn in Kent Report 11 Apr 2014 22:11

If you know the parents' names and address at that time, you could try cemeteries near there or check services at the nearest crematorium.
There were fewer crematoria at that time, so they may have had to travel some distance if that was the family's choice.
A baby might have been laid to rest in the grave of a near relative, eg. grandparent, so that would be another place to check.

Sadly it is not always easy to find what you want. I have searched without success for the resting place of someone who died in the 1980s.
Even though I have a death certificate and home address, I have so far been unlucky.

Gwyn

zoe

zoe Report 11 Apr 2014 22:58

Thanks Paul and Gwyn , I know the parents name but not their address and I've tried the online deceased but no luck there , I never thought of the baby being buried with a relative., that's something to look in to , is there a way of finding out an address of someone back then , ( 1960's )

ErikaH

ErikaH Report 11 Apr 2014 23:04

The address will be on the cert

zoe

zoe Report 11 Apr 2014 23:26

Ok , I will order the birth & death Certs , thanks Reggie .