Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Northern Ireland BMDS - new online search

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Potty

Potty Report 12 Apr 2014 12:47

Not sure if this has been posted before but the NI GRO now has online search facilities for bmds - there are time restrictions similar to scotlandspeople.

http://www.nidirect.gov.uk/archive-for-family-and-local-history

Click on Research family history at GRONI then click on Go to GRONI online.

You have to register and buy credits; up to 200; credits cost 40p and 5 paid for a view of an original death entry. You cannot print or download the image. The certs can be ordered on line for £8.

Not quite as good or cheap as scotlandspeople but a step in the right direction.

Hugh

Hugh Report 11 May 2014 22:18

Try searching for a 'Screen Capture' software such as SnagIt which should enable you to print anything which is viewable on your screen.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 May 2014 15:14

With the GRONI site, I find you can only search in a time-slot of no more than 5 years at a time - bit of a nuisance.

Potty

Potty Report 4 Oct 2014 15:03

Nudging this up for those searching in Northern Ireland

Potty

Potty Report 1 Jan 2015 13:20

Nudging again

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 1 Jan 2015 23:55

As Potty has mentioned above, Groni request that that the images are not copied to you PC in any way. ( no download, screen capture or grab is permitted)

I have been usung the Groni site for a while and have purchased a number of enhanced/ full certificates.

Once a purchase is made, it is stored on your acct for just 72 hours.
If you wish to look at anything again after the time period has lapsed, then it has to be purchased again.

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 2 Jan 2015 18:34

Thanks for the info, having just discovered a branch of my tree in Belfast.

Having registered, isn't there anything at all to see without buying credits?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 3 Jan 2015 00:49

Beverley,
You need at least one credit in the acct to view the index ( 40p )

However, the index is well set out, with full date info, and a mother's maiden name does show for births.
If a child had more than one christian ( given) name, the index shows just one.
IE James John Campbell will show simply as James Campbell

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 3 Jan 2015 07:29

Thanks, GlasgowLass :)
Never had any dealings with N.I. before.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 3 Jan 2015 20:33

I am from Belfast/NI and I am researching a birth in NI - which I cannot find any trace of in GRONI.

I have went online and visited the GRONI offices.

The systems are so hard and frustrating to use. Any English BC I have ever looked for has been easily found and sent for. GRONI is a nightmare. I wish they would simplify it a little.

:/

Potty

Potty Report 4 Jan 2015 11:42

If the birth was pre-1920, you may have more luck looking in the Eire records, which have BMDs for all of Ireland up until partition. You can find those on the familysearch site or on Ancestry.

Would you like to post some details and perhaps a second (or third!) pair of eyes might find something.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 4 Jan 2015 12:13

I had to look again there.... Wasn't sure if you meant me there! Lol.

Thank you. My story is on a thread on 'find living relatives' ... It is called 'searching for Sandra..... Still' - I will bump it to the top.

the birth is 1950/51 and I have little information about anything to be honest. It is like searching for a needle in a haystack... But that hasn't put me off :)