Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

FTM

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tom

Tom Report 13 Apr 2014 15:36

Hi folks

Please can I have your thoughts on family tree maker !!

Does it have any inherent problems,as I have been given a CD
and not sure about using it.

Many thanks

Tom

Joseph

Joseph Report 13 Apr 2014 15:43

Have only used 2006 Version - Works fine, basic but no problems.

Tom

Tom Report 13 Apr 2014 15:50

Thanks Joseph

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 13 Apr 2014 15:52

I use FTM 2005. As Joseph says the older versions work fine - basic but adequate and easy to use.

Kath. x

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 13 Apr 2014 15:59

It was completely re-written after the 2006 version so is all rather different now. Early versions of the re-write did have lots of bugs but 2010 onwards was fine.

Which version is your CD for? Current version is FTM 2014.

Tom

Tom Report 13 Apr 2014 16:13

Hi InspectorGreenPen

Thanks for your thoughts, I was given the 2011 version and have never used it , I have installed it but thought I would ask peoples thought's before using it.

Many Thanks

Tom

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 13 Apr 2014 16:59

I use 2005 version on my PC which I really like .

Guess I am used to it now after using it since it came out . I have bought a new laptop and it wasn't compatible with windows 7 so I bought the 2013 one .Fortunately I had uploaded my tree to Ancestry and it did download it onto the laptop and sorted it into the new format .

Still having difficulties getting used to the new one so much so I add still to the old one on my PC ,and I run off genealogy reports etc from the old version .

Tom

Tom Report 13 Apr 2014 17:12

Hi Shirley

Thank you for your thought's on FTM. That's the sort info I was seeking.
I have trees on Ancestry also, so I will give it a try and see how it goes.
Thanks for taking the time to answer my query

Kind regards

Tom

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 15 Apr 2014 11:27

FTM 2011 is fine, but not sure if the ability to syncronise and integrate with your Ancestry tree worked too well with that release as there were some issues when the sync facility was first introduced which took a couple of releases to fix.

It is optional though so you can always switch it off and use FTM standalone if you don't want to use it, or experience problems.

They sometimes release free update patches too so make sure you install these if prompted.

Good luck!

Tom

Tom Report 16 Apr 2014 11:20

Hi InspectorGreenPen

Thank you for your info, I did take a quick look at the FTM program and thought I might give it a go !!

So bearing in mind what you have told me I will be on the lookout for any of those problems.

Many thanks

Regards

Tom

Tom

Tom Report 16 Apr 2014 11:20

Hi InspectorGreenPen

Thank you for your info, I did take a quick look at the FTM program and thought I might give it a go !!

So bearing in mind what you have told me I will be on the lookout for any of those problems.

Many thanks

Regards

Tom