Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Quick answers

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Gerard

Gerard Report 23 Apr 2014 19:03

Hi all,

When I first started looking at the sight, it asked me a series of questions and within a minute I had found our loads about my mother's side of the family. It said to find out more to subscribe, so I have subscribed to the platinum package. However, now I've joined up I can't find anything!

Does anyone know how I can do this? I don't know much about my family and I'm becoming very frustrated. Any help for a beginner would be welcomed.

Joseph

Joseph Report 23 Apr 2014 19:17

Take a look at

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/genealogy_chat/thread/1162069

It lists other useful sites.

Gerard

Gerard Report 23 Apr 2014 19:27

Thank you!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Apr 2014 19:28

Welcome to GR Gerard

The main records held on this site relate to England and Wales. Scottish records are primarily held on a separate pay-to-view site called Scotlandspeople.

Assuming that your mother was born in England or Wales, the first thing you need to find is her birth registration if she was born after 1911 as that will give her mothers maiden name. If she was born before April 1911 then she ought to be listed on the 1911 census. Hopefully you know the name and occupation of your maternal grandfather which will help you identify the correct family.

If you've found a post 1911 birth reg, you can look for a marriage between people with the same surname. Then you look for them on the 1911.

Rather than use the GR index for births etc, you may find FreeBMD.org.uk easier to use. You wont find full birth or marriage details on line (with a few exceptions) . You will given references to order certificates from the General Register Office (gro)

brigid

brigid Report 23 Apr 2014 20:39

Have you tried ALL the search pages on this site ;the newspaper archives can turn up some interesting articles just by looking up family names .
as can military history or travel .
Good luck .

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 23 Apr 2014 20:45

Hello Gerard, one of the most useful ways to find out more info about your family is to ask for help here on the boards.

Over on the left (under Tools) is a link called "Help Clinic" - read that first as it will give you some useful tips as to how to go about it.

There are lots of people on here who are happy to guide you through the research processes and also use their subs to other sites which may have different records that could help.