Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Photo-dating | Jayne Shrimpton

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 8 Jul 2014 15:45

Hi everyone,

If you have any comments or questions on the photos which Jayne Shrimpton has dated, please add below.

Thanks

Shelley

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Jul 2014 18:21

Where would one see these photos, Shelley?

Kense

Kense Report 8 Jul 2014 20:08

Look at Photo of the Month on the Announcements board.

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 8 Jul 2014 21:10

Thank you, Ken, very interesting!

MarieCeleste

MarieCeleste Report 8 Jul 2014 21:33

Would have been a good idea if we were given a clue (or a link) as to where to look in the first place!

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 9 Jul 2014 09:21

Thanks all! Yes, that might have been helpful

http://www.genesreunited.co.uk/boards/board/announcements/thread/1342097

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 9 Jul 2014 17:50

Thank you Ken McGuire for your comment for Jayne:

I thought that your assessment of the photo is very interesting, but you didn’t mention the dog, which is sitting on the table or counter in the foreground. Wouldn’t you say that the presence of the dog would most likely indicate a domestic situation, rather than a commercial setting?

Community Manager

Community Manager Advisor Report 9 Jul 2014 17:51

Thank you Annice Henderson for your comment for Jayne:

Have just read your fascinating analysis of the photo on Genes Reunited. (Group of servant girls and one man in kitchen)
I fully concur on your dating as I also have a photo dated as 1911 with identical hairstyles and dress.

One thing that jumped out at me was the setting.
I have seen the style of background many times before and it looks to me like the dining room of an old London pub.
Your picture may not be in London but big cities across Britain always had these huge Victorian Public Houses that apart from serving beer...hence the young man with apron, had many bedrooms above the bars.

Dining rooms were a big part of these premises. The cups and glasses and general lower class background would be in keeping with this. The variance in dress would also be explained...some in the kitchen, some serving tables, some cleaning and the young man dealing with the beer.
Would be interesting to know if this fitted in with the sender’s knowledge.
Fascinating reading.