Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

George Parry born 1858 County Durham

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Keith

Keith Report 3 Sep 2014 10:56

Hi all
My great grandfather George Parry was born about 1858 in West Rainton County Durham.
His mother Elizabeth Maddison was the widow of John Parry he died in 1853 .
My great great grandmother married Vickers Marwood in 1854 .My 2x great grandmother had 2 children after this date Willam 1856 and George 1858.
I cant find a record for their birth or baptism anywhere either by the name of Parry or Marwood , or anyone close to that . Does anyone have any knowledge re this pair.

Hoping
Keith Newton :-) :-)

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Sep 2014 11:07

Have you checked this site to see if anyone else has this family? May be they have some relevant records they can share.

As I'm about to go off line, its possible that other members will be able to find what you seek.

You should bear in mind
- the civil registration of births was not compulsary until 1873
- they may not have been baptised
- the baptism records may not have been transcribed and uploaded
- they may have been baptised as a 'job lot' a number of years after their birth.

safc

safc Report 3 Sep 2014 11:10

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Pittington, Durham, England
Print household transcription
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Elizabeth Parry Head Widow Female 33 1828 Agricultural Labourer West Rainton, Durham, England
Image Transcription
John Parry Son - Male 13 1848 Pit Boy Sherburn, Durham, England
Image Transcription
Joseph Parry Son - Male 11 1850 Pit Boy Sherburn, Durham, England
Image Transcription
Jane Parry Daughter - Female 8 1853 Scholar Sherburn, Durham, England
Image Transcription
William Parry Son - Male 5 1856 - Durham, England
Image Transcription
George Parry Son - Male 3 1858 - Durham, England

safc

safc Report 3 Sep 2014 11:12

1861 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Bonners Field, Monkwearmouth Shore, Sunderland, Durham, England
Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Vickers Marwood Head Married Male 26 1835 Blacksmith Barnard Castle, Durham, England
Image Transcription
Elizabeth Marwood Wife Married Female 27 1834 - Ireland

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Sep 2014 11:17

Are you sure you have the same Elizabeth, as in the one who married Vickers being the same Elizabeth Parry? I am getting a but confused!!

1861 England Census
Name: Elizabeth Marwood
Estimated Birth Year: 1834
Relation: Wife
Spouse's Name: Vichers Marwood
Where born: Ireland
Civil Parish: Monkwearmouth Shore
Ecclesiastical parish: St Peter
County/Island: Durham

Registration district: Sunderland
Sub-registration district: Monk Wearmouth

Vichers Marwood 26
Elizabeth Marwood 27

safc

safc Report 3 Sep 2014 11:18

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Sherburn Hill, Durham, England
Household Members
John Parry Head Married Male 30 1821 Pitman Meliden, Flintshire, Wales
Image Transcription
Elizabeth Parry Wife Married Female 22 1829 Wife Meliden, Flintshire, Wales
Image Transcription
John Parry Son Unmarried Male 3 1848 - Sherburn Hill, Durham, England
Image Transcription
Joseph Parry Son Unmarried Male 1 1850 - Sherburn Hill, Durham, England

safc

safc Report 3 Sep 2014 11:20

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
High Street Elemore Lane, Hetton-Le-Hole, Houghton Le Spring, Durham, England
Household Members
Vickers Marwood Head - Male 42 1829 - Durham, England
Image Transcription
Elizabeth Marwood Wife - Female 41 1830 - Ireland

Keith

Keith Report 3 Sep 2014 11:29

Hi safc
That Elizabeth Marwood is Vickers second wife Elizabeth Graham in 1871 at Elemore who was from Dublin she was acttually jailed for a street assault.Yes I have all of that info but can still not tie them down to my 2x great grandmother

Thank you
Keith .

safc

safc Report 3 Sep 2014 12:37

????

1871 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Freehold Field Houses, West Rainton, Houghton Le Spring, Durham, England
Household Members
Robert Harris Head - Male 47 1824 - Ireland
Image Transcription
Elizabeth Harris Wife - Female 44 1827 - Durham, England
Image Transcription
William Perry Step-Son - Male 15 1856 - Durham, England
Image Transcription
George Perry Step-Son - Male 12 1859 - Durham, England
Image Transcription
John Harris Son - Male 7 1864 - Durham, England

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Sep 2014 16:59

Keith, just humour me for a moment as my brain is in a knot!!

Can I just ask how you got back to Elizabeth and John Parry in the first place? Just wondering how you know that William and George's mother was Elizabeth Maddison?

There are 2 1861 census going on above, one for John and Elizabeth Parry, and the other for Vickers and Elizabeth Marwood. Obviously these cannot be the same Elizabeth.

Jan

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 3 Sep 2014 17:07

OK, have answered my own question, as I can see the marriage cert for Elizabeth Parry (nee Maddison) and Vickers on someone's Ancestry tree.
So - are we speculating that Vickers was a bigamist?? Still in a tangle here!
Jan

Mary

Mary Report 3 Sep 2014 20:42

Elizabeth Parry widow married Vickers batchelor 1854 her dad Joseph Maddison his dad Ralph
1861 reverted back to Parry
meanwhile Vickers took up with Elizabeth Graham (1880 Jailed for 12 months for robbery) they married 1870 Vickers saying he was a widow.(Not)

1871 Elizabeth Marwood /Parry nee Maddison is with Robert Harris.No marriage found.

1881 with Robert Harris
1891/1901 also with Robert Harris
Also 1881/1891 there is Grandaughter Elizabeth Metcalf age 8
Elizabeth Parry had daughter Jane Parry 1853 she married William Metcalf 11/3/1871.

Maryb.

Keith

Keith Report 5 Sep 2014 20:51

Hi Maryb
Absolutley right but I still cant find a registration for my great grandfather.
My mother had said that as a girl a solicitor came to see George Parry about 1925 and said there was land in Australia that he was entitled to if would be known by another name.My mother who is now deceased could not remember the name.I am wondering if it was his real father.It would seem likley that Vickers Marwood was his father but i cant be certain
Keith

Keith

Keith Report 5 Sep 2014 20:56

Hi Brummie jan
I am certain that he was a bigamist because my 2x greatgrandmother was still alive and kicking as you can see that she is with Robert Harris and has a son with him it has got me very confused as well
Regards
keith :-)

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Sep 2014 21:34

There are a couple of articles about Vickers Marwood in the British Newspapers,,,

Keith

Keith Report 6 Sep 2014 08:02

Hi Kay
Yes i have seen them about his death on the railway line and his ability as a blacksmith
Everything points to Vickers as being George and Williams father but I cant prove it
Many Thanks
Keith :-)

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 6 Sep 2014 10:34

So we are back at the beginning aren't we, but it all makes sense now. I can see that you could really do with a birth cert/baptism record for George to see what father is recorded.
Tricky!

Mary

Mary Report 6 Sep 2014 11:38

A copy of marriage cert for George Parry age 19 and Elizabeth Hudspeth 17/3/1877 states father of George is John Parry coal miner deceased, so didn't George know who his dad was??

Maryb.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2014 03:38

if a married woman had a child after the husband's death .............. the child was assumed to be the husband's child

UNLESS the Registrar was told otherwise.

BUT .................. the putative father had to be there in person to give his permission for his name to be put on the Birth Registration

Most men were not willing to do that, as it laid them open to being forced to support the mother and children by the parish.

It is probably that George did not know who his father was ................ if his mother kept quite about it, and he did not know when his father died, why would he ask???

You may be able to find a baptism for one or both of the boys, and the Vicar MAY have made a note in the margin of the Parish Register as to the name of the suspected father.

OR you may be able to find a family bible, or a letter, in which the name of the father is mentioned.

but otherwise, I'm afraid you have little chance of determining who was the birth father.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 7 Sep 2014 03:53

is your only record of George's birth his age on a census??

because I found this on the Mormon site ................. www.familysearch.org

Name: George Maddison Lowery
Christening Date: 27 Jul 1856
Christening Place: West Rainton, Durham, England
Father's Name: James Lowery
Mother's Name: Elizabeth
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C01829-9 , System Origin: England-EASy , GS Film number: 1514523 , Reference ID: yr 1825-1835 p 197

from freebmd .....................

Births Jun 1856 (>99%)
Lowery George Maddison Durham 10a 256