Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Sarah Chadwick

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Peter

Peter Report 11 Sep 2014 18:40

I am trying to find the above in the 1841 Census, but without any luck so far.

The 1851 Census lists her as living in Mayfield, Staffordshire with what appears to be her son's family. Her date and place of birth are given as about 1778 in Alstonfield, Staffordshire. She is not resident with her son in 1841 and so far I have been unable to find her in the 1841, at least the closest I have come is a Sarah Chadwick born in 1776 in Spondon, Derbyshire. While she has a son of the same name as in the 1851 census, his wife's name is different and he does not have a daughter who would have been approximately 1 in 1841.

Can anyone help me in any way at all?

Thanks

Peter Chadwick

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Sep 2014 19:07

is this her in 1851??

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Black Lion, Leek, Staffordshire, England

Print transcription View image Household Members
First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
James Chadwick Head Married Male 36 1815 Farmer & Cordwainer Emplg 2 Men Wetton, Staffordshire, England Transcription
Elizabeth Chadwick Wife Married Female 32 1819 - Grindon, Staffordshire, England Transcription
Sarah Chadwick Daughter - Female 11 1840 Scholar Butterton, Staffordshire, England Transcription

Sarah Chadwick Mother Widow Female 73 1778 - Staffordshire, England Transcription >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

James Chadwick Nephew Unmarried Male 21 1830 Journeyman Cordwainer Wetton, Staffordshire, England Transcription
George Chadwick Nephew Unmarried Male 16 1835 Ag Servent Wetton, Staffordshire, England Transcription
Sampson Malbon Lodger Unmarried Male 39 1812 Landed Proprietor Elkstone, Staffordshire, England Transcription
Census details

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Sep 2014 19:13

looked for james & George but they seem to have been with James senior and Elizabeth

1841 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Church Street, Mayfield, Leek, Staffordshire, England

Print transcription View image Household Members
First name(s) Last name Gender Age Birth year Birth place
Moses Smith Male 70 1771 Staffordshire Transcription
Sarah Smith Female 60 1781 Staffordshire Transcription
Sampson Malbon Male 30 1811 Staffordshire Transcription
James Chadwick Male 25 1816 Staffordshire Transcription
Elizabeth Chadwick Female 20 1821 Staffordshire Transcription
Sarah Chadwick Female 1 1840 Staffordshire Transcription
James Chadwick Male 12 1829 Staffordshire Transcription
George Chadwick Male 7 1834 Staffordshire Transcription

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 11 Sep 2014 19:16

nope not seeing Sarah on the 1841 census

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 11 Sep 2014 20:10

Peter ........

have you made allowance for the fact that ages of people over the age of 15 were usually rounded down to the nearest 5?

This means that someone who was 73 in 1851, would have been 63 in 1841 ........ and thus her age would have been rounded down to 60

meaning that the birth year would be shown as ca 1781

Peter

Peter Report 11 Sep 2014 20:46

Shirley

Thanks. The entry looks about right but for one thing. How does Sarah Smith in 1841 become Sarah Chadwick in 1851?

Peter