Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

ancestry book recommend please

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Kim

Kim Report 20 Sep 2014 15:26

Can anyone advise a book to buy where I can put family in, like a record book, need one to go back to sixteen great grandparents. Many thanks
Kim. :-)

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 20 Sep 2014 16:57

I don't think I have ever seen a book that would record so many generations.

www.genealogyprinters.com

are a firm who print family trees and also sell blank charts.

They do a 15 generation chart or they could print your whole tree for you at reasonable cost. They are very good and the owner of the firm - Ron - used to be a member of GenesReunited and has been well recommended in the past.

Kath. x

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 20 Sep 2014 17:23

I have never seen a book either, but you can buy blank charts to fill in yourself from several sites. The link below is quite a good one for ideas as to what you can get.

http://www.genealogysupplies.com/product/Charts-and-Family-History-Kits/

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 21 Sep 2014 12:44

I think if you do find anything like the book you want, it will be from the US and cost an arm and a leg.

Never seen anything like you are looking for anywhere in the UK or online.

Denburybob

Denburybob Report 23 Sep 2014 19:41

I have used Genealogy Printers several time and can highly recommend them. Bob

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 26 Sep 2014 20:06

Yes....give me a few days to find out where I got mine from (I am not at home) and I'll get back to you on here.
The cost was under £10 (a few years back) for an A4 sized paperback book of 'forms' which you fill in. You start in the centre fold pages of the book with each parent, and then work through the pages for each generation of their ancestors. Not only is it a good, easy to follow record but it also serves as a great way to see, at a glance, any gaps which are in the tree.

P.S. If you have a look on Amazon (co.uk) there's quite a choice, Family Tree Memory Keeper, etc. etc.

patchem

patchem Report 27 Sep 2014 07:43

I am guessing that Kim wanted to record 16 great great grandparents, not 16 generations of ancestors?

If so, a lot more manageable size.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 27 Sep 2014 16:45

In the meantime I found this list which may be of help...

http://www.cyndislist.com/charts/blank-books/

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 27 Sep 2014 16:47

:-) YOOO HOOOO Kim...

** wonders if Kim has forgotten she posted this thread **

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 27 Sep 2014 16:52

OK, I have now found the one I was referring to yesterday, and can give you the details if you are still interested. :-)

LindaC

LindaC Report 27 Sep 2014 22:06

I would be interested in the details of the book you have found Karen. Could you let me have details please. Thanks

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 28 Sep 2014 21:40

Hi Linda,
Yes of course....the price may have increased by now, I got mine in 2010 or thereabouts.
I got two - one for my mum's side of the family and one for my dad's. I keep them up to date and near my desk, they are very handy for seeing at a glance where any gaps are. But they would be useful to give as a gift to someone who doesn't particularly want all the 'extra' stuff, just the basic names & dates type of family record.

"Ancestral File: A Record Book of Family Research". £4.00

One of our best sellers! This book offers a convenient system for writing in your family tree. You start in the middle with yourself and add father and mother and their parents until you get to your Gt,Gt,Gt,Grandparents.
You turn to the next page on either side and add the details of each parent, birth, marriage and death details. Turning each page on either side you add details of grandparents, etc. till you get to the first and last page to add the details of your Gt,Gt,Gt,Grandparents.
There is also a place on each page to add details of each census year from 1841 to 1911.

http://www.bookshop.mlfhs.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=675

LindaC

LindaC Report 29 Sep 2014 09:21

Thank you very much Karen. I am going to order one today. I am doing a friend's family tree for her and it will be a good way to pass the information on that I have found.

Karen in the desert

Karen in the desert Report 30 Sep 2014 09:01

Yes, Linda a good idea and fairly inexpensive too.
Something in the back of my mind tells me I ordered by phone, but I can't remember why I would have done that unless there was a problem with the order page on that link I gave? Hope you find it works ok.