Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Access to prison/medical records?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 2 Oct 2014 07:33

Good morning everyone,

I cannot see this question anywhere, so I am sorry if it has been asked before.

Is it possible for me to see prison or medical/hospital records for a person who is now deceased? Can anyone advise me on this, please? The records would related to the late 1940's/early 1950's.

Thanks for any help.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Oct 2014 09:13

Welcome to GR

If records where to have survived, they'd probably be covered by the 100 year privacy rule.

If the crime was particularly serious, you might find court papers on the national archive site, otherwise try searching the name in contemporary newspapers via this site or the British Newspaper Archive.

It's unlikely that medical records will be in the public domain. You could try to work out which health trust a hospital would be in and ask them. You might strike lucky!

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 2 Oct 2014 09:20

Thank you for your reply!

The crime wasn't that serious. The person was married twice without properly annulling the first marriage. I am trying to look for a child that she had and as I can't find trace of the child, I was thinking of trying to look up medical records.... just as another avenue..

Thank you

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Oct 2014 09:27

If you haven't already, use freebmd to search for the birth.

Use the legally married surname and then try with the bigamous surname. The mothers maiden name should stay the same.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 2 Oct 2014 09:42

Thank you, I tried that. So far, I don't know the bigamous surname. I went through the sites looking for people with other surnames and maiden names/married names that matched! That was a long process. Emailed a few people and I am waiting on replies etc.

Then looked on one of her other children's birth certificates and she has used a married name instead of her maiden name.... as if it isn't confusing enough! lol..

Thank you :)

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 2 Oct 2014 18:21

It's highly unlikely that medical records of a deceased person would still be in existence after so long.

I used to work in the Medical Records Dept of a hospital, and deceased people's records were routinely destroyed after 6 years.

EDIT: Of course, you haven't said how long ago the person died - if they died recently, you might be in luck if you contact the hospital.

Medical records of deceased people are generally not covered by the Data Protection Act, unless there is reference in them to other people who are still alive, or if there is some ongoing legal case.

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Oct 2014 18:33

I would be very surprised if you would be able to access any medical records. In any case, I am not sure whose records you wish to access, and what you are hoping to find?
Jan

jax

jax Report 2 Oct 2014 19:40

I would imagine it is the birth of the child on the medical records?? but it could be before the NHS so would there be anything?

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 2 Oct 2014 20:01

The person died about 2003... So a good time ago.

Yes Jax, I am just thinking of other ways to find this missing child.

Need to get my thinking cap screwed on a little harder!

Thanks for all your replies... I appreciate all the help!

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 2 Oct 2014 20:10

Just wanted to say that, even if you found the birth, It's highly unlikely that any name would be entered for the child on the mother's notes (the baby would not have had notes of its own). Even if it were, there is no way of knowing under what name the child was registered.
And of course the child was quite possibly born at home!
Jan

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 2 Oct 2014 20:35

Yes that is true Jan... I didn't think of any of that...

I know she did have some of her children at home.... hmmmmmm

Thank you :)

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 15 Nov 2014 21:26

I just wanted to follow up on this one quickly....

I was asking about getting records for a person who died over ten years ago. The person was my grandmother and she happens to have had the same doctor as me.

I thought that on the off chance I would speak to my doctor. I explained my story and he was happy to help me. He sent for my Nan's records which were in deep storage. I am waiting to hear if there is anything of interest to my story on them.

Just wanted to update this to encourage anyone in the same boat as me. I was sure those records would be long gone.. but, it was completely worth speaking to my doctor.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Nov 2014 11:44

Your best bet for the criminal record would be a record of the crime/trial in the local newpaper.

ALL crime from petty (especially petty) up to the serious ones of murder, will be recorded in local newspapers. This was the bread and butter of their trade.

Not all newpapers are yet online and many locals you have to visit their offices to access their archives.

So if you know the area, look to see what papers were around in the day. Then contact to see if they can help.

Also I had a suicide in my family in the 1940s, it happened in London, he was from Bristol and it was only reported in a newpaper from up north! So there is often no rhyme or reason where it is found!!!! Sorry ;-)

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 16 Nov 2014 12:32

Thank you! I have searched a little bit on this.. But not much. Once I exhaust the medical records I think I will move on to criminal records. I am not entirely sure there is one. I (stupidly) went on something a family member told me. Then, after more questioning I'm not sure of how factual it actually is!!

Thank you for the advice, I appreciate it and will definitely follow it up :)

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 16 Nov 2014 16:02

Go to the Thread 'Jonesys tips of the day'

There is lots interesting and infomative advice on all of them and there is one dedicated to 'family' stories.

All the best in your search

:-)

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 16 Nov 2014 18:16

I am in the same position after years of searching and several incorrect marriage certificates I found the death of Winnie (Winifred) Dodd spinster born 1900 who died in 1957 at Harperbury Hospital St Albans buried in Hatfield Cemetery in a grave with others so think that was because the Council or Hospital were paying.

Researching this place I found it was a large mental institution now closed they first took women patients in 1934 I have managed to find a lot of information on the hospital and it makes quite grim reading, such a sad life.

I last found her on the 1911 census at school so I am having difficulty finding any information on her life after that.

Role on the releasing of the 1921 Census.

Sorry rather a ramble think I should have added it as a separate topic.

MissMarpleInTheMaking

MissMarpleInTheMaking Report 17 Nov 2014 12:04

It is hard when you have little information to go on Lesley. I know that there was a child, but what her name, DOB or place of birth was is anyone's guess!! :-\