Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

RootsIreland.ie

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 10 Oct 2014 07:45

Just got this email

www.rootsireland.ie changes to a Subscription Site

The Irish Family History Foundation is pleased to announce that the rootsireland.ie website has become a Subscription based service, giving users access to search an index of over 20 million Irish records and to view the details of the records. (Subject to our terms and conditions). While we do not have all Irish records on our site we add new records at regular intervals. Please check our online sources lists to see what we have currently available.

There are 3 types of Subscription available: 1 month, 6 months or 12 months. You can avail of a Single Payment Subscription or Continuous Membership.

If you already have a Pay Per View account with existing credits remaining that you purchased in the last 12 months under our previous service of Pay Per View credits (and our previous terms and conditions) you can continue to use them to search and view records on the site until they are used up. However, the Pay Per View service is being closed down and no further purchases of credits can be made commencing 24th September, 2014.

If you wish to use the Subscription Service we will facilitate you in converting the remaining Purchased Credits in your account against the value of any of the three subscriptions offered. However, on conversion of your paid credits into a Subscription your Pay Per View free search credits will also expire.

Holy *******...... annual subscription 225€ :-S

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2014 11:22

Expensive for the annual subscription but I thought £20 wasn't too bad for 1 month. I just need to organise myself with a list of my Irish lookups.

About 5 years ago I sent off for some Irish certificates and they cost me 8€ each.

Do you know what detail you get, for example a marriage?

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 10 Oct 2014 11:55

Rootgatherer,
I got the email too as I also have unused credits on my acct.
Rootsireland provide transcribed records only, and like everything else, they can and do contain errors.
First one I ever bought from the site, sent me on a wild goose chase that lasted 2 years.
I eventually tracked down the original parish record ( Donegal) and found that they had mis transcribed my gg grandmother's maiden name.
They had mistranscribed her as McGarvey when all along, it was McGrory!

I recently purchased a baptism cert from RI and I KNOW with absolute certainty the date on this is...impossible!

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 10 Oct 2014 13:05

I agree that one month is maybe not too bad - I can't imagine anyone wanting to research Ireland for a whole year anyway!.
The site has always been expensive in my view and most of the people I have looked for have not turned up in searches. Having read GlasgowLass's post above I wonder if this is due to transcription errors too.
I did find two baptisms but could never get any further with the two people involved nor with their parents.
Ireland is such an awful place to research (except for a couple of well-documented areas) and I always got the feeling that the Irish don't really want us to make any progress there!!!! they certainly don't make it easy.

Potty

Potty Report 10 Oct 2014 14:06

They did try to make it easier on this site by having a searchable database for civil BMDs, including being able to view all the details (not sure if there were images). I found details of some relatives but there were complaints that it would make identity theft easier, so it was withdrawn:

http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Hopefully it will return, possibly with the same time restrictions as scotlandspeople and Northern Irelands GRO site.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 10 Oct 2014 18:14

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I'll just save up and buy the certificates where possible. I was hoping to get some information on my Great Grand father but don't know where in Ireland he was born. He did return to Ireland with his wife and some of his younger children. I managed to get a death certificate for him and his wife and a marriage certificate for a daughter who married over there. The others returned to Glasgow after the deaths of the parents.

Interesting you have McGrorys GlasgowLass. I did a wee bit a few years ago for a friend whose McGrorys came to Glasgow.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 10 Oct 2014 23:39

Glasgow Lass /BeverleyW/ Rootgatherer
If you want to give me some details I will have a trawl through my Irish Data Base and see if I can locate anything that may help. ...

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 11 Oct 2014 07:33

Thank you very much, Eringobragh.
I'll find my old Gallagher bits and pieces out :) :-)

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 11 Oct 2014 09:40

Eringobragh,
Thank for your kind offer.I will bear it it mind.
Having looked again at the Irish baptism in question, I think perhaps the parents got the DOB wrong
The baptism record that I purchased came from Burrishoole, Co Mayo stating that birth took place in Oct 1850 and the child was baptised in Burrishoole in 1854
The family are on the 1851 census in Scotland and there is no sign of this infant child.
The family didn't move to Mayo until after Apr 1851 and later immigrated to the US.
I believe the child was born in Glasgow Oct 1851
US census returns show place of birth as : Scotland

Rootgatherer,
My McGrory gg grandmother had just one brother who in turn, had 3 sons.
Two sons moved to Pennsylvania and the 3rd, did come to Glasgow, albeit after his 1937 marriage.

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 11 Oct 2014 11:56

Rootgatherer...What was the childs name..!

OneFootInTheGrave

OneFootInTheGrave Report 11 Oct 2014 15:15

I received that e-mail as well, the Clusker side of my family originated in Ireland - I have used them a few times to try and track parents and siblings and so on, of Patrick Clusker (1821 - 1901) who married Susan MacLare/McClare (1820 - c1902) but as yet I have not managed to find anything :-(

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 11 Oct 2014 20:59

I managed to find this family on rootsireland and bought the transcriptions of the certs:

Hugh Gallagher b. 1829
Catherine Gallagher b. 1832
Thomas Gallagher b. 1838
all children of Michael Gallagher and Mary née Finan, christened in Castlerea, Roscommon.

This is where I stopped, no further trace of Michael, Mary, or her Finan family.
Eringobragh, if you can see anything I have missed I would be very grateful, thank you for your kind offer.

Gritty

Gritty Report 12 Oct 2014 10:14

Think there was another child to Michael & Mary- although seems the year of baptism is mistranscribed. There is a note at the bottom that says:
FR PATRICK O GARA : CHILD BORN IN 1828

Brigid Gallagher
Date of Baptism: 11-Nov-1111
Parish/District: CASTLEREA
Denomination: Roman Catholic
Father: Michael Gallagher
Mother: Mary Finan
Informant 1: Patrick Finan
Informant 2: Mary Finan

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 12 Oct 2014 13:39

Wow brilliant! Thank you so much Gritty.
Michael Gallagher and Mary Finan are my 4 x great grandparents, and their son Hugh is my direct ancestor.

rootgatherer

rootgatherer Report 12 Oct 2014 14:54

Eringobragh, thank you for the offer. I dig out as much information as I can. I need to look it up as I have Irish connections on both sides of my Mum's grandparents and my paternal grandmother was from Tipperary. Managed a fair we bit of the Tipperary branch using the Glasgow Poor Relief Records as every time Great grandmother came home to Glasgow to visit her Mum she claimed relief because her husband had deserted her, which he hadn't. Even more than 100 years ago there were those that would play the system!

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 14 Oct 2014 18:38

Hoping someone here can help!

I have, as yet, no Irish roots but my maternal gran had an illegitimate daughter and, after a chance find, think I may have a clue to the father. I have details on Ancestry but wonder the best site to use to order a birth certificate (he was born in County Mayo). Is it as straightforward as GRO in the UK? Thanks in anticipation, fingers crossed that this MAY answer a few questions for my cousin :-D

Gritty

Gritty Report 15 Oct 2014 13:32

Sheila- scroll down on this page for info:

http://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Ireland_Civil_Registration

Depends what dates you're looking at, and remember, County Mayo is the Republic of Ireland

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 15 Oct 2014 20:42

Thank you Gritty - will have a look at this.