Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Locations in London

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Dolly

Dolly Report 11 Oct 2014 14:26

Can anyone help in advising me on locations in London? When I am searching for someone, when it says for instances St Lukes or St Andrew or or St Georges in the East, how do you know what area that is?

I am stll searching to get over this brick wall of someone in Fulham, I cannot get my head around the areas and I get confused. It may sound daft to some of you but I am struggling with finding this person. if I uderstood areas I could then make headway..hopefully.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Oct 2014 14:32

St Georges in the East

It is located on Cannon Street Road, between The Highway and Cable Street, in the East End of London. Behind the church lies St George's Gardens, the original graveyard, which was passed to Stepney Council to maintain as a public park in mid-Victorian times

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Oct 2014 14:33

St Luke's is a historic Anglican church building in the London Borough of Islington. It is now a music centre operated by the London Symphony Orchestra and known as LSO St Luke's. It is the home of the LSO's community and music education programme, LSO Discovery. The main body of the church seats up to 372 and is used by the LSO for rehearsals, and by a wide variety of musicians for performances and recording. Additional rooms in the crypt provide practice facilities for professional musicians, students and community groups.

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Oct 2014 14:34

St Andrew, Holborn, is a Church of England church on the northwestern edge of the City of London, on Holborn within the Ward of Farringdon Without.[

AnnCardiff

AnnCardiff Report 11 Oct 2014 14:35

found the above just by googling!!

Dolly

Dolly Report 11 Oct 2014 14:41

Many thanks Ann :)

SheilaSomerset

SheilaSomerset Report 11 Oct 2014 15:01

Dolly - London can be daunting, especially if you don't know the geography very well!

For parishes within the old city walls, you can google 'City of London Parishes Map' and look at some of the results, each parish is numbered and referenced. For those outside the city, it is probably best just to look up the church name and get further details, as Ann has done.

I would also recommend looking at the Alan Godfrey map site, which provides old ordnance survey maps for different areas (London and elsewhere) - these are quite detailed and are only £2.50 each. Delivery is very speedy too.

Dolly

Dolly Report 11 Oct 2014 15:06

Thank you Sheila, I will take a look :)

patchem

patchem Report 11 Oct 2014 17:03

Go to google maps:

https://maps.google.co.uk/

Type in: St George in the East

You will get where it is, a picture, a link to the church website etc etc.

So easy, I keep maps open all the time.