Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Death certificate wrong GRO number

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Jo-anne

Jo-anne Report 20 Oct 2014 17:30

I've tried to order a death certificate, and gave the GRO reference, volume and page numbers, but had an email saying that nothing was found for the name I'd requested with that information.

Hmmm, now what do I do?!! Would my local registry office be of any use if I contact them? Or would it still be the same information?

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 20 Oct 2014 17:48

Do you want a double check done ?

Perhaps there was a transcription error

brummiejan

brummiejan Report 20 Oct 2014 18:00

If all else fails, I think you can order it without the reference number.
Jan

Jo-anne

Jo-anne Report 20 Oct 2014 18:00

Ooh please Shirley! It's for John Roberts died 1984 Thurrock, Essex.

Thank you!

Andrew

Andrew Report 20 Oct 2014 18:10

England & Wales, Death Index, 1916-2007
about John Roberts

Name:John Roberts
Birth Date:20 Sep 1908
Date of Registration:Sep 1984
Age at Death:76
Registration district:Thurrock
Inferred County:Essex
Volume:9
Page:2720

Andy

Jo-anne

Jo-anne Report 20 Oct 2014 18:30

Thanks Andy. That's the info I gave, and had a message back saying 'There is no trace of the above mentioned person at the reference you quoted.' Arghh, back to the drawing board!

Thanks for trying though.

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 20 Oct 2014 19:07

If it was me I would be ringing the local register office explaining what the GRO have said. I would ask if they would mind checking their records giving his name and that he died Sept 1984.

Chris

Penny

Penny Report 21 Oct 2014 14:58

You didn't add a middle intial or anything, did you?

Gee

Gee Report 21 Oct 2014 15:29

If you search for any death using the same year/month and ref numbers, none of the images are available to view

I'd think there has been an error at the GRO

InspectorGreenPen

InspectorGreenPen Report 22 Oct 2014 14:23

Did you put any information other than what Andy has posted above? If you did and any was even slightly incorrect your request will be rejected.

On the other hand, Gins seems to be inferring that the ref quoted might be wrong. Try ordering without the ref as suggested, or order from the RO where it was registered, in which case you won't need the GRO ref either as it is of no use to them.

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 22 Oct 2014 21:11

If you look on freebmd for any death in Thurrock, Essex ....................

the volume number for Thurrock is 4a

I can't work out where 9 fits in

Kense

Kense Report 22 Oct 2014 22:06

In 1974 they changed the volumes for Thurrock and other Essex districts from 4a to 9.

FreeBMD hasn't got that far yet.

Edit:
http://www.ramsdale.org/1837gro.htm

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 23 Oct 2014 01:38

that answers that then :-)

mgnv

mgnv Report 23 Oct 2014 16:48

FreeBMD only aim to transcribe the printed indexes, which only go thru 1983. After that, they're all computerized.

Jo-anne

Jo-anne Report 24 Oct 2014 16:49

Thanks everyone for all your help and suggestions! I've ordered direct from Thurrock Register Office and am waiting for it to arrive... fingers crossed!