Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advice Required

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Oct 2014 11:35

I have found myself on various online trees all owned by the same person.
Although the privacy settings are set to hidden/private, it is immaterial to me and all my living relatives who have been included.

I have contacted the individual on two occasions and have had no response although I know that he signs into his Ancestry acct on a daily basis.

My living family details are also found Search All Trees in GR.
He is the tree owner
When I contacted this person before and asked for removal, all he did in response to my request, was to stop my access to his GR tree.

I did NOT give him this information as it does not appear anywhere within my own trees.
I don't "hide" living people, I overtype all the detals with "Not Available" and therefore cannot be found on a GR search function and is not available to anyone who has access to my trees.
It is clear that he has paid a few visits to the GRO and found it for himself.

If I was to contact GR, ( or Ancestry) would they force him to remove the information under the T&Cs ?

Kense

Kense Report 28 Oct 2014 11:43

GR clearly state that living people should only be in a persons tree if they give permission. They will take action if you request it.

Not sure whether that applies to Ancestry though.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 28 Oct 2014 12:11

Thanks KenSE,
I contacted the individual again today and if it's not removed by the end of the week, I will contact GR.

I really feel that our personal security is being compromised.

When this man first made contact with me, he temporarily lifted the privacy settings to allow me to see his tree in all it's glory
I was horrified by the amount of data held on living people!

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 29 Oct 2014 04:26

problem is .........

.......... if he did not obtain the information from you, then he obtained it either from someone else, or from records available on the internet

GR does have a policy that information on all people born within the alst 120 years should be hidden

Ancestry did have a policy of automatically hiding anyone with a birth date within the last 100 years but no death date shown.

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Oct 2014 10:20

GR does have a policy where all people born within last 120 years should be hidden.
Howevever, a tree owner has the option to open the tree to others allowing them to see it in full.
Whether an individual is hidden or not, they will still be found on Search All Trees.

Ancestry will automatically hide living people but, a tree owner still has the option to share and show living people.

This is my real issue.
How many other people has had access to this

I know the tree owner makes visits to the GRO in Edinburgh, because he told me.
Anyone can spend day at one of the 3 Scotlands People Centres.
All records, even the most recent can be viewed.
It's extremely easy to find current BDMs, but IMO the data should never be placed on any online database.
On one occasion only, I did some research on a living family.
(Close relatives that I never knew existed)
I tracked each one from 1930's up to 2008.
I was so uncomfotable with myself, that I shredded it all as soon as I got home.

We are all different but I prefer not to enter into the land of the living

Cornish Susie

Cornish Susie Report 29 Oct 2014 11:20

I had exactly the same problem on here a couple of years ago, except even worse as the tree owner added my address and phone number ( which I had given her to facilitate communication ) on the notes at the bottom of my details. She also denied me access to her tree when I asked her to remove them, so I contacted GR who assured me that they had all been deleted, so would advise you to do that asap.

Some people!!

Sue

GlasgowLass

GlasgowLass Report 29 Oct 2014 12:04

Thanks Susie,
I intend to do that.
I made contact yesterday with the tree owner via another genealogy site where my hidden details still appear.
Rather that respond, he simply changed the tree to private.

Edit:
I have both emailed GR and Ancestry.
I have asked Ancestry about their policies on this matter and asked GR to take action.
I suspect that the offender will be reading this, but I feel strongly about my family's personal security.
If private info is shared, it cannot be unshared and I would urge this person to think very carefully about how he produces a family tree