Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

On a death cert

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

poppygirl

poppygirl Report 1 Nov 2014 14:02

Please can anyone tell me what it would have said on a death cert, for 1971. In England.
Thank you

patchem

patchem Report 1 Nov 2014 14:52

Guidance here:

http://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/most_customers_want_to_know.asp#FamilyHistory5

includes:
Name, date and place of death.
Date and place of birth (before 1969 a certificate only showed age of deceased).
Occupation and usual address.
Cause of death.
The person who gave information for the death registration.

poppygirl

poppygirl Report 1 Nov 2014 15:17

thank you
I was hoping it might have given a mothers maiden name. Thank you for your help, though

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 1 Nov 2014 15:56

When was the person born? Would they be on the 1911 census? If so you could look to see how long the parents had been married and then look for their marriage which would give the maiden name.

If they were too young to be on the 1911 census then the birth index should give the mother's maiden name.

Kath. x

poppygirl

poppygirl Report 1 Nov 2014 16:49

Hello Kathleen.
the person in question was born around 1880 but, someone looked for me, yesterday, and between us we couldn't find the actual birth record, at all.
All the other siblings or supposed siblings were recorded but not this lady

Her supposed father was alive in 1911 although can't find the record of him. I think he was still in a workhouse, in Christchurch, LONDON. As had been there on 1901 census.
He was down as widowed, although his wife was living with their daughter in a home, were they were both working.

As I said a lot of what I have on here relates to the post that I added yesterday, and kindly Rambling Rose and Ginns had helped me with the initial request.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 1 Nov 2014 17:52

it look like the maiden name for deceased was added from 1969 , this would be of course if the informant knew it

from http://www.ukburials.co.uk/certs.htm
Death Certificates

What can I find on a Full Death Certificate?

This will give you:

The deceased's occupation, or the name and occupation of the husband
If a married or widowed woman, date and place of death
Name, address and family relationship (if any) of the informant
Age, date and place of birth
Usual address
Maiden name if a married or widowed woman (from 1 April 1969) >>>>>>>>>>>
Cause(s) of death.

it wouldnt show the mother of the deceased maiden name

poppygirl

poppygirl Report 1 Nov 2014 17:59

thank you Shirley, appreciate that

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Nov 2014 23:45

Always remember that a lot of the information on a death certificate is hearsay .............. that is, only what the informant knows

even spouses and children have known to get information very wrong.

the only information that you can really trust as being accurate is ....................

date and place of death
cause of death
name of doctor, if there
name of coroner, if applicable
date and place of inquest, if applicable
name, address and relationship of informant.

We all have stories about relations who did not tell the truth, or even of giving wrong information ourselves on death certificates.

My own grandfather had lied about his birth date to all his children, and thus his grandchildren. His true birth date was only discovered by my uncle AFTER he had registered the death, when he was searching the house and found grandfather's birth certificate :-)