Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Maker question

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Christine

Christine Report 2 Nov 2014 14:23

Can someone answer a question for me please. I have Family Tree Maker 2010 and a 2011 update. They both show separately on the list of programmes on my computer.

I always use the 2011 one to go into my tree. I am also doing my ex-husband's tree for the benefit of my grandchildren (with his and his family's blessing). However, I don't want to add his family to my tree, so I was wondering if I could use the 2010 installation to add the information from the second tree - or would anything I put on there automatically update the 2011 one? I hope I've explained this well enough - I'm only too well aware of my limitations when it comes to computers!

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 2 Nov 2014 14:37

I can't tell you about FTM 2010 or 2011, but I use FTM 2005 and you can have as many separate trees on there as you wish. I have separate trees for several friends whose family history I have looked into.

When I have my tree open on screen I go to the top left of the screen and click on "file" and then click on "Close". After that click on "file" again and click on "new" and then start a new tree.

That way you have both trees in the same place but completely separate.

Hope I've explained this properly as I'm not much good with computers either. I'm not sure that your version of Family Tree Maker has the same options though.

Kath. x

Christine

Christine Report 2 Nov 2014 14:49

Thank you Kath ! It didn't occur to me that I might have more than one - will give it a try.

Christine

Christine Report 2 Nov 2014 16:31

I've done it! Thank you so much.