Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Finding criminial records 1936

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Shani

Shani Report 5 Nov 2014 17:13

Hi All
Advice please, I have tried the National Archives to no avail.

I would like to find out what my grandfathers conviction was in 1936. The newspaper article relates to my great-grandfather Johannes inquest after his suicide but it also mentions my grandfather, Williams sentence. ]
Please note; William is stated as having the surname Miller but he was born Wirthmiller..

Article;
Johanne Wirthmiller, 60 year old Folkstone Boarding House proprietor and father of William John Miller, the Mayfair man who was sentenced at Derby Assizes last Thursday to 18 months imprisonment, but did not know of the sentence when he gassed himself.

This was stated by the daughter of the man at the inquest at Folkestone where the verdict of suicide by gassing whilst the balance of his mind was disturbed was returned.

The daughter, Mrs Eleanor M Robinson, Clifton Crescent, Folkestone said that whilst her father was known as John Wirthmiller, he was of German Nationality and had been naturalised.

Her father's and mother's business had been very bad lately and he had been very worried about the recent crisis and being a highly strung man, took it worse than a normal person.

Witness said 'I want to state emphatically that what my brother has done has nothing whatsoever with my father's death. Unfortunately my brother has learned where he is that he is the cause of it and he is very much upset about it'.

Mrs. Robinson added that the previous weekend her father had threatened to take his life, saying he felt he could go on no longer.

Shani

Shani Report 5 Nov 2014 17:30

Hi Jan, thanks for the reply.
It is all the information I have so I have no idea where the offence took place. Would you know how I research local papers?
Shani

Kay????

Kay???? Report 5 Nov 2014 17:36

Order by Relevance Date
Order by Date Doc True DEATH AFTER SON S SENTENCE MAYFAIR MAN'S FATHER FOUND DEAD John W. Miller, father of William John Miller, 25-years-old Mayfair “...DEATH AFTER SON S SENTENCE MAYFAIR MAN'S FATHER FOUND DEAD John W. Miller, father of William John Miller, 25-years-old Mayfair man, who was sentenced with three other Mayfair men at Derby Assizes yesterday for housebreaking, was found dead in a gas-filled ...”
18 November 1938 - Gloucestershire Echo - Cheltenham, Gloucestershire

cant see the whole article as its blanked off at FMPast......

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Nov 2014 18:21

Derby Daily Telegraph 18th Nov 1938

Man "brought disgrace on Famous School"
Indulgence in drink in West End clubs, association with undesirable persons and living on their wits - these practicers were alleged by Chief Superintendent JC Rogers at Derby Assizes yesterday against four Mayfair men who pleaded guilty to breaking and entering the dwelling house of Mr Samuel Walter Robert Royse of Chinley on the night of Sunday October 16th and stealing jewellery and other articles to the value of £330 16s etc

Not great with computer, have downloaded and will try to attach to a PM

greyghost

greyghost Report 5 Nov 2014 18:29

Articles x 2 hopefully on way

Shani

Shani Report 6 Nov 2014 09:53

Hi All,
Many, many thanks for that! Thank the lord for people who know what they are doing haha! I am very grateful.
Shani x