Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Farmhill Park, Stroud, Glos

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Philippa

Philippa Report 19 Nov 2014 19:10

My great grandmother was sewing maid at Farmhill from 1890-1910 (approx.). I have an old picture of the house and found some info online which gave me the various owners names and that it was demolished in 1930s, but nothing more. I am posting this on the off chance that someone may know a bit more about the place. Maybe someone local has published a leaflet or perhaps a GR member had an ancestor who lived there?

jax

jax Report 19 Nov 2014 19:39

It is very unlikely a family member will see this, if you know who the owners were when your gt grandmother lived there, have you looked to see if they are in any trees?

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Nov 2014 19:44

There are a number of links to Historical Societies in Gloucestershire - may be one of them have further information?

http://www.hagloucestershire.btck.co.uk/Usefulwebsites

Philippa

Philippa Report 19 Nov 2014 19:59

Thank you for this. I will try the Glos historical societies and have hunted for possible former owners on trees - only one name from the right period, so will have to see if it is the right one. The tenant from 1892 to 1918 was C P Allen, MP - any idea how to find out his first name? I know I'm unlikely to get much information on this, but I thought it was worth a try!

greyghost

greyghost Report 19 Nov 2014 20:35

Using google

Charles Peter Allen - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Peter_Allen
Charles Peter Allen MP (2 December 1861 – 18 September 1930) was an English Liberal politician who represented Stroud from 1900-1914. His professional ...

etc etc

Philippa

Philippa Report 19 Nov 2014 21:00

Thanks! That is great.

I emailed the Glos FHS to ask if any of their Stroud books had ref to Farmhill Park (there are lots and I can't afford to buy them all on the off chance) and had an almost immediate reply (do historians ever rest?!!!) promising to check the indexes and meanwhile giving me some more helpful contacts. I say this every time, but family history people are SO KIND AND HELPFUL.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 19 Nov 2014 23:01

That's great - by asking on here, we can sometimes think 'outside the box' ;-)