Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Deceased Relatives Tree on GR

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2014 12:27

Hi All,

I'm kind of hoping a GR will reply but any help is appreciated.

I am looking up my family tree on GR (have been for a while now) I have seen that one of my aunts also had an account but she unfortunately died of cancer a few years ago leaving her oldest son (17) to look after his brother (9). He has done a great job although he has found out how teenagers can be....

Anyway I would like to link / open her tree as she would have some great information as she was close to her mother who would have given plenty of information that seems wasted if lost.

Any ideas on how to go about this? Is it even possible?

Many thanks

Mike

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 23 Nov 2014 12:40

Welcome to the boards Mike.

GR won't give you access to anyone's tree - the only way would be to see if your cousin still has a record of her sign in details and password.

If he has, he can either sign in himself and give you access, or give you the details so that you can sign in to her account.

If several years have elapsed its going to be a bit of a long shot. :-0

One other thought - if she only had the one email account, he might be able to contact GR and explain the situation. There is a remote possibility that they would be willing to reset it to a new email address and password. He'd need to know her account number.
They're more likely to offer to delete the account & her tree.

[email protected]

jax

jax Report 23 Nov 2014 13:14

Have you looked on ancestry, she may have had a public tree on there?

Two of my aunts have trees on here, they haven't gone back any further than their parents.... My dad has a tree with just him in.... Can you see whether she has many ancestors or not?

Unknown

Unknown Report 23 Nov 2014 15:01

Thanks for the info guys, its a pity there is no way GR would release the tree's but I do understand there could be personal reasons why someone would not want to share their tree.

I will check out Ancestry as I didn't think of that.

Thanks again both.

Mike

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 23 Nov 2014 15:38

Surely a tree on GR wasn't her only copy of her tree? Most of us only have a very small tree on GR but our main tree is on a family tree program on our home computer.

jax

jax Report 23 Nov 2014 15:55

My main tree is on ancestry (private).....my tree on here only has 58 people in it

Inky1

Inky1 Report 24 Nov 2014 09:16

Genes would likely require proof of relationship.

Who acted as executor for your late aunt? If you/he/she was prepared to contact Genes and provide any Probate/Administration document, perhaps they would be prepared to assist?