Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Hucklesby family in Luton about 1800

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Joanne

Joanne Report 26 Nov 2014 22:42

I have a difficulty establishing the parents of my Great Great grandfather. he was Charles Hucklesby born in Luton in 1818. His parents were John Hucklesby and wife Mary. There were 10 children to a John and Mary Hucklesby between 1796 and 1818. There was a marriage between John Hucklesby and Mary Wingrave in 1796 at St Marys church in Luton and another between John Hucklesby and Mary Boston in 1803 at St Marys church in Luton. Perhaps the first Mary died and John married again? Unfortunately I can't find a death for a Mary Hucklesby in the counties surrounding Luton until1836. At the moment I'm stuck and have no way of knowing which couple were my ancestors nor whether any of the 9 other children are relatives of Charles

Any ideas anybody to resolve the problem??

David Warren

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Nov 2014 09:15

First name(s) JOHN
Last name HUCKLESBY
Birth year 1777
Death year 1837
Age 60
Burial year 1837
Burial day 3
Burial month 2
Place LUTON
Church description ST MARY
Church denomination ANGLICAN
County Bedfordshire
Country England

This is the only record for a man of the right sort of age on FMP, which suggests that two marriages would be the most likely scenario, which would, in turn, mean that all of the children were connected to Charles, either as full or half siblings

As Charles is not with any others of the same surname in 1841, it could be tricky to establish accurately who his relatives actually were.

Who witnessed his marriage?

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 27 Nov 2014 09:16

Are any of his children's names the same as any of the potential siblings?

1851 England, Wales & Scotland Census Transcription
Dumfries Street, Luton, Bedfordshire, England

First name(s) Last name Relationship Marital status Gender Age Birth year Occupation Birth place
Charles Hucklesby Head Married Male 30 1821 Straw Hat Manufacturer Stopsley, Bedfordshire, England Transcription
Harriott Hucklesby Wife Married Female 29 1822 Bonnet Sewer Flamstead, Hertfordshire, England Transcription
Frederick Hucklesby Son - Male 4 1847 - Luton, Bedfordshire, England Transcription
Jane Hucklesby Daughter - Female 1 1850 - Luton, Bedfordshire, England Transcription
Harriott Barton Niece - Female 7 1844 Scholar Flamstead, Hertfordshire, England Transcription
Mary Nash Lodger Unmarried Female 20 1831 Bonnet Sewer Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England Transcription
Caroline Nash Lodger Unmarried Female 15 1836 Bonnet Sewer Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, England Transcription
Mary Ann Deacon Aprentice Unmarried Female 15 1836 Bonnet Sewer Northamptonshire, England

Whose niece is Harriott Barton?

ADDED............I see that she is related to the wife. Pity!

Joanne

Joanne Report 27 Nov 2014 10:48

Thanks for your reply.
All four in the marriages did not sign their own names, only their marks. Other signatories were James Jackson, in both cases and James Garratt and James Humball for each separate one.
Interstingly, John's burial record says that he was 60 when he died, making his birth 1777, which could fit with a marriage in 1796. But the only baptism I can find is in Great Gaddesden, which is about 15 miles from Luton in 1783.If he was baptised as an infant, that would make him 13 in 1797, perhaps he was baptised around 8 years ols, but the record doesn't say so. Also, as I said before, if John married twice, his first wife must have died before 1803, the date of the second marriage. I can't find any such record.

I have been trying to work this out for about 5 years now, without any joy. I think it will remain unresolved.