Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

UK, Lunacy Patients Admission Registers,1846-1912.

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

MR_MAGOO

MR_MAGOO Report 28 Nov 2014 20:42

New on Ancestry.

This series contains registers kept by the Lunacy Commission, 1846 to 1913, of asylum patients in both public and private asylums. They record the name and sex of the patient; the name of hospital, asylum, or licensed house; and the date of admission and of discharge or death of each patient.

James

James Report 1 Dec 2014 14:58

YES-Just found my grgrandmothers sister on there-bless her!

Jean

Jean Report 1 Dec 2014 17:31

Thanks, just found my Grt Grandmother,so sad

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 1 Dec 2014 17:48

does anyone know are these tied to the 100 year rule need the record from 1957

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 1 Dec 2014 21:02

They could be even though the records are solely the Admission Registers.

From Ancestry's description & Mr Magoo's post

The Patients’ Admission Registers note the name of the patient, the hospital or asylum, and the date of admission and discharge (or death). Meanwhile the related Criminal Warrant and Entry Books reveal the departure from prison and arrival at asylums of convicted criminals judged insane.
My grt grt grandmother is listed & I've already viewed her records at the Archive. At the initial enquiry stage (with no years mentioned) they did mention that they might have to mask adjacent records just in case that person was still alive.

Graham

Graham Report 2 Dec 2014 10:14

The records on Ancestry only go upto 1913 (over 100 years ago); so a record from 1957 won't be on there.

lesleymargaret

lesleymargaret Report 2 Dec 2014 15:08

Yes I know the records only go up to 1913 I just wondered if I found them elsewhere I would not be able to access them.

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 2 Dec 2014 15:46

If you were able to prove that your grandmother had died, or that she wouldn't be expected to be alive, you may be able to view the records.

Consider that other entries on the page could be for people who are currently living, say for a 17 year old bc1940 - it would be a breach of their privacy if a stay in an Institution was in the public domain. 74 is no longer considered 'old'.

Assuming that they hadn't been destroyed, your initial task would be track down the records.
If you haven't already, contact the nearest Archive. Also research the history of the hospital and contact the NHS Trust that it would now fall under.

David

David Report 27 Dec 2016 03:51

I am desperately hoping this may put a piece into my puzzle! When I set up an ancestry account for hte free trial I'm hoping that there's a record for my mother's GGrandmother!!!