Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

London Probate search room

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Mary J

Mary J Report 3 Dec 2014 09:09

The following announcement has been made by HM Courts & Tribunals Service.
“As of Friday the 12th December, the Probate Service will make available our records from 1858 to the present and the records of some soldiers who died on active military service between 1860 and 1982 (predominantly those who died in the First World War) for searching online.

http://blog.eogn.com/2014/11/25/london-probate-search-rooms-closing-december-2014-to-be-replaced-by-new-on-line-index-to-wills-from-1858/

Mary J

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 3 Dec 2014 11:10

Interesting! I wonder how Ancestry feel about that as they feature the Probate Calendar to 1966.

There is a Beta version for on-line searches for Probates etc 1996-2014
https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills

If we can't physically search the books, then the missing years 1967-1995 need to be added to the online data base pretty quickly

No doubt they will run out of money/have IT programming problems and it'll all go wrong. :-(

Kense

Kense Report 3 Dec 2014 12:09

Thanks for that news Mary J.

I suspect the reason that 1996 onwards is already available is that they were in digital form from the start. I am sure that 1967-1995 are virtually ready to be incorporated.

The real question is whether the changes arising from use of the beta search, have been fully checked.

Gritty

Gritty Report 3 Dec 2014 18:01

Thanks Mary J,

I'm looking forward to being able to order on line and download- it's been a pain having to apply by post (I'm still waiting on one ordered nearly 4 weeks ago- and wanted to order another two- but I'll wait now). I suspect a lot more people will order wills once it's all on-line.

Adeline

Adeline Report 4 Dec 2014 10:52

The problem with the online database is that no addresses are given. When you are searching for the will of someone with a common name it will be impossible to identify the correct person, especially if you do not know the year of death. I tried for many years to find the death of my 3 x great grandfather and only finally identified the correct death by searching through the calendars at the London Probate Office and finding his probate details which included his address. He died in 1868 in his ninetieth year and was a lot older at death than I had anticipated.

Dame*Shelly*(

Dame*Shelly*("\(*o*)/") Report 4 Dec 2014 14:23

thank you for posting link

interesting will have a proper look later as off back to work soon

Chrissie2394

Chrissie2394 Report 5 Dec 2014 18:02

Thank you for posting this Mary J.

Chris

Gritty

Gritty Report 11 Dec 2014 18:34

Now up and running

https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar#calendar

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 11 Dec 2014 20:34

Wow! They've gone 'live' ahead of schedule.

A 1968 result is giving when the person died, normal address and the amount of the Estate. It does not give the name of the Administrator/Executor or their occupation.

Never the less, its a great finding tool.