Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Adoption

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Tammy

Tammy Report 15 Jan 2015 14:17

Anyone on here ever registered on the adoption register? And if so have you had any success? I have the registration form here to fill in but not sure if its any good?

lavender

lavender Report 15 Jan 2015 15:17

I haven't done it but think you may be able to do it online??

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 15 Jan 2015 15:21

Have you read the info on their website?

2. The Adoption Contact Register
You can add yourself to the Adoption Contact Register at the General Register Office to:

find a birth relative or an adopted person
say you don’t want to be contacted

**********This is not a tracing service - for a connection to be made between people, you must both be on the Adoption Contact Register.***********

Find birth relatives if you were adopted
You can add yourself to the Adoption Contact Register if you’re 18 or over and your birth or adoption was registered with the General Register Office.

You need to fill in form CR part 1 to add yourself to the register. Read guidance notes on how to complete the form.

You need:

your original birth name
your date of birth
the full name(s) of your birth mother (and birth father if known)
The fee is £15 - instructions on how to pay are on form CR part 1.

Find someone who was adopted if you’re a birth relative
You can add yourself to the register to try to find an adopted person by filling in form CR part 2. Read guidance notes on how to complete the form. You’ll only be able to find people who have also added themselves to it.******************

You need to be 18 or over.

The fee is £30 - instructions on how to pay are on form CR part 2.

You can also use this form if you are an adopted person looking for other adopted siblings.

You can also apply to make contact with an adopted person through an approved intermediary agency.

KathleenBell

KathleenBell Report 15 Jan 2015 15:25

Yes, it's just a matter of adding your name and then hoping that the adopted person decides to try and find their birth family and adds themselves to the register.

You will then be matched up and I think you would both need counselling before being put in contact with each other.

Kath. x

Kay????

Kay???? Report 15 Jan 2015 15:47

The overall sucess rate in the first 12 years was aprox 18%,

Names are still on there since it was first introduced.

lavender

lavender Report 15 Jan 2015 15:52

I notice it is possible to leave a message on Missing-You.net

Tammy

Tammy Report 15 Jan 2015 16:13

I have the form, so will fill in the details and send it away, the only information i don't have, because my mums memory isn't what it used to be, is the name of the adoption agency, how much of a problem do think that will be?

Tammy

Tammy Report 15 Jan 2015 16:13

Lavender i have never heard of that, will go look it up, thank you.

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 16 Jan 2015 09:28

Tammy

The only chance of contact being made is if the person being sought has also added his or her details to the register.

That is made very clear on the website.......as per extract I posted above

Tammy

Tammy Report 16 Jan 2015 12:05

Yeah i know. Thank you

Petef

Petef Report 16 Jan 2015 13:43

Tammy,

I personally have not had many good reports of this Register.One lady has told me

they did not make contact with her following a request for news of her birth sister.

Both of the sisters names had been on the Register for two years.

I thought "Missing-You" was closing down? perhaps I have got that wrong? I

have just had a look......Missing-You isn't being closed down but is being taken

over by a.n.other.

Good they were /are an extremely good site.

Good luck with your search Tammy,

Peter

lavender

lavender Report 16 Jan 2015 19:49

On Missing-You.net there is a link for applications to Long Lost Family tv programme

Tammy

Tammy Report 20 Jan 2015 18:29

Thanks guys :-)