Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Family Tree Links?

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Rondog

Rondog Report 18 Jan 2015 17:48

If I've thought that someone MIGHT have a link to my family tree based on a particular name plus place and date of birth, I've sent them a message asking them to confirm certain details plus ask them to let me view their tree with the understanding that I would do the same if we had a family link.

My question is,

Should I remove my message after 3, 6 or 9months, or
Should I leave it on in the hopes that one day they will answer.

Why cant GR remove trees of those who have been dormant for say, 2years?

Ron

ps I must have about 15+ messages unanswered!

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Jan 2015 17:56

You do not need to be a paying member to have tree on Genes!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 18 Jan 2015 19:42

Leave the message - you never know, you might eventually get an answer!

However irritating it may be to people waiting in vain for a reply, GR never remove what appears to be a dormant account.

Kense

Kense Report 18 Jan 2015 20:13

Wouldn't you be a bit irritated if you had some personal problem that prevented you using your tree for a couple of years, and then you came back to find it had all been wiped?

MargaretM

MargaretM Report 18 Jan 2015 21:09

But how many people "use" their tree, whatever that means? Mine hasn't been altered or even looked at for probably 10 years but I want it to stay there.

DazedConfused

DazedConfused Report 18 Jan 2015 22:06

However, when I did have a tree on here, I was given access to several (actually lots!) that had less than 10 people, 1 only had 3!

Little or no use to anyone

Rondog

Rondog Report 9 Sep 2016 23:22

All the comments given to my question were valid, understood and appreciated.

Ron

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 9 Sep 2016 23:46

Isn't your reply an example of what can happen? This is the first time you've added to it since 18 Jan 2015. May be you hadn't realised that some sort of acknowledgement was expect. On the other hand today may have been the first opportunity you've had since then. :-D :-D

Rondog

Rondog Report 10 Sep 2016 22:01

There's been a lot going on in my life over the past couple of years but once back into GR, l found that l needed to say thanks to all those who helped me up till l "disappeared".
Hopefully, if and when l need help from the "patient and helpful" members, they will see their way to respond to my problems whatever they might be.
Ron

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 10 Sep 2016 23:07

We will, Ron, we will :-)

As your original enquiry was about how long to wait before deleting a sent message, your own circumstances are an example of how they can lay dormant for some time.

Still, good to 'see' you back & hope that during your absence, some of the messages have been opened and replied to.