Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Roberts Family of Farnham ,Surrey

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

diane

diane Report 29 Jan 2015 17:51

Hello everyone

I know this is a long shot but does anyone have a relation with the name of Ethel Margaret Roberts in their Family tree who lived in Farnham in 1945 ?

Any news i would be eternally grateful

Rambling

Rambling Report 29 Jan 2015 18:47

Diane, I can see this is connected to a your query re the GPO records on General, have you any other info which might help in your search at all? whether Ethel was married for example?

diane

diane Report 30 Jan 2015 09:04

Hello ,sadly the answer to that question is no :-( .On Mums bith cert it just says where Ethel lived which was at Farnham House ,Farnham Surrey and that she was employed at the time as a GPO Officer.

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it

Shirley~I,m getting the hang of it Report 31 Jan 2015 10:47

Wonder whether she was living in as part of doing war work at the time .

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 1 Feb 2015 00:39

you are very unlikely to have anyone see this who does have her in their tree ..................

very few members out of the 13+ million actually look at the Boards.

You have to do the work

Go to Search in the top right

Click on it

Click on Search All Trees

Enter her name

IF you are lucky, at least one tree will have her name

Click on the tree owner's name, and send a message

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link!

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 2 Feb 2015 10:00

If it's the same Farnham House, it's an hotel now.

Perhaps she was boarding there?

Rose

diane

diane Report 2 Feb 2015 16:37

Hi SylviainCanada and Rose

I have tried looking up the history of the house ,but to no avail sadly ,i have now been in touch with Surrey Heritage society to inquire what Farham house was used as during the War as i have tried looking on-line and nothing comes up apart from as you said Rose.... it being a hotel now, i have also tried the tree route previously but as of yet no replys sadly :-(

diane

diane Report 2 Feb 2015 16:40

i will take the last bit back, i have received 1 reply but not the same Ethel :-\

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 Feb 2015 09:27

What about your mum's adoption file?

Rose

diane

diane Report 3 Feb 2015 13:49

Hi Rose ,
I'm still waiting to hear back from Social services,they were doing a search for it ,but haven't heard anything ,they said Mums adoption may of been a private one?

Click ADD REPLY button - not this link! Report 3 Feb 2015 20:15

Even if they destroyed the adoption file there should still be court records.

Chase them up on this.

Rose

Kucinta

Kucinta Report 6 Feb 2015 00:45

Roberts is a very common name so this is probably totally unrelated.

Surrey, England, Electoral Registers, 1832-1945

Name: Ethel Roberts
Year: 1933
County: Surrey
Parliamentary Division/Constituency: Farnham
Place of Abode: 2 Pound Cottages, Wyke, Ash
Reference Number: CC802/50/4

Ethel is living at 2 Pound Cottages with Alice, George, William George and Amy (junr) Roberts. 1933 is the first time Ethel appears on the register, though the others appear in the register previously. Just wondering if it could be that this Ethel reached the age of 21 c1933.

By 1935 Alice is no longer recorded at the address, but George, William George , Amy and Ethel are at the same address in 1935/36/37/38/39. Then Ethel is at the same address 2 Pound Cottages in 1945, along with Amy and George William. She never has a second name or initial in any of the records, so I have no idea if she is the same Ethel who lived or gave birth at Farnham House, or whether her possible age fits or not.

diane

diane Report 8 Feb 2015 15:07

Thank you Kucinta,I found the same ?? in all I have found 2 for the same timeline this one and another who lived in Farncombe !