Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Marriage Certificates

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

JANICE

JANICE Report 9 Feb 2015 19:00

Could anyone of you kind people tell me if I can obtain a certificate for a marriage that took please in 1809, if so from were.
Many thanks
Janice

ZZzzz

ZZzzz Report 9 Feb 2015 19:11

Not a certificate but maybe a copy of the parish record of where it took place.

JANICE

JANICE Report 9 Feb 2015 21:36

ZZzzz
Many thanks will try to obtain a copy of parish record
Janice

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 9 Feb 2015 22:47

For info

No certs of any kind existed until the GRO came into being, in July 1837

The PR will not have any parental info, although the names of the witnesses may prove helpful

JANICE

JANICE Report 10 Feb 2015 00:10

Jacqueline
Thank you for this information.
So is there not way of finding parental info?
Thanks again
Janice

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 10 Feb 2015 00:36

You will need baptisms for the bride and groom to find the name of parents, however they are unlikely to give the mother's maiden name.

There are certain baptisms/registrations for non conformists that do give the mother's maiden name and 'ordinary' baptisms where the incumbent does note maiden names but they are few and far between.

Why not put up the info you have and see what the helpers on here can come up with. Someone may even have access to the marriage!

Chris

JANICE

JANICE Report 10 Feb 2015 13:58

Hello Chris
Thank you for reply
The person I am trying to find information on is John Dainty who married Caroline Severn or sometimes Sivern in 1809 in Wolverhampton. I have the parents of Caroline, Zachariah and Ann but I am trying to trace the Dainty line.
Many thanks for your help
Janice

Potty

Potty Report 10 Feb 2015 15:17

From freereg, the marriage was at St Peters; Zachariah Severn and Joseph Wainwright were the witnesses.

Potty

Potty Report 10 Feb 2015 15:22

There is this possible - but from marriages that are coming up, there was one than more John Dainty in the area:

Name:John Dainty
Baptism Date:29 Nov 1768
Baptism Place:Saint Lawrence,Darlaston Near Wolverhampton,Stafford,England
Death Date:18 Dec 1768
Father: Daniel Dainty
Mother:Sarh

Potty

Potty Report 10 Feb 2015 15:23

I wonder if the John I posted above died:

Name:John Dainty
Baptism Date:22 Jul 1770
Baptism Place:Saint Bartholomew,Wednesbury,Stafford,England
Father: Daniel Dainty
Mother:Sarah

JANICE

JANICE Report 10 Feb 2015 21:28

Hello Potty
Thank you for your input. There do's seems to be quite a lot of John Dainty's and I have know way of knowing which is the right one. I think my John died before 1841 as he is not listed with Caroline on any of the census's and she is listed as a widow. Unfortunately the witnesses on the marriage cert do not help either.
I am going away for a few day but will look at the baptism for a John in 1770 which you have listed. when I return.
Thanks again for your help.
Janice