Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Advanced Search problem

Page 0 + 1 of 2

1. 1
  2. 2
  3. »
ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 5 Mar 2015 11:51

For several weeks I've been unable to get any results from the "Advanced Search" facility.
It says it's searching, but that's as far as it goes - for literally hours - and never produces any results.

I asked GR Support about it, and they said:

"We have not had any reported issue with the search facility on the site I am afraid.
Please could you try clearing your cache? This eliminates saved internet files on your system. Depending on how many cached files you have stored on your computer, doing this can speed up your system slightly. Cached files will soon accumulate though, so it's important to clear your cache often.
This link should help:
http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache "

So I've cleared the cache, and it has made no difference.

Is anyone else having this problem?

If so, please will you report it to [email protected]?

Thanks!

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Mar 2015 12:12

I have had the problem for ages.........I have reported it.

Might as well talk to myself!

+++DetEcTive+++

+++DetEcTive+++ Report 5 Mar 2015 14:52

So have I but I just give up and do something else

Andysmum

Andysmum Report 5 Mar 2015 15:34

I have never been able to make Advanced Search work. I'm glad it isn't just me! :-S :-S :-S

Jacqueline

Jacqueline Report 5 Mar 2015 17:05

It was OK..........once upon a time

Eringobragh1916

Eringobragh1916 Report 5 Mar 2015 23:55

If the "support team"... checked it out for themselves they would see it doesn't work and hasn't worked for weeks...

Kense

Kense Report 6 Mar 2015 07:57

i expect the support team have enough to do with reported faults to spend time looking for others.

That is why it is so important to report faults when you discover them. The trouble with advanced search is that it is hard to know whether it is taking a long time or is stuck in a loop.

Kense

Kense Report 6 Mar 2015 19:19

This afternoon I received the standard reply blaming it onto a full cache.

Grrrrrr. :-|

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 6 Mar 2015 20:33

Did they say nobody else had reported it, KenSE?

Kense

Kense Report 6 Mar 2015 21:46

No they didn't claim that. They just implied that clearing the cache would make the PC run faster and thus complete the search in a finite time.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 10 Mar 2015 12:24

Latest response from GR:

"We have tested this and have not been able to replicate the issue you are reporting I am afraid.
Can you try accessing the site from a different internet browser and if this does not resolve the issue then please come back to us and advise us exactly what is happening and we can check further again for you."

Done that - it doesn't work on either IE or Firefox.

Hope they come up with some solution.

Kense

Kense Report 10 Mar 2015 14:35

I have tried both of those without success and also I have tried it on my Kindle Fire which behaves exactly the same.

greyghost

greyghost Report 11 Mar 2015 10:50

Reported it yesterday afternoon, asked them not to tell me to empty my cache but provide an answer/sort the problem please - still waiting....................

EDIT - following received 1529

Thank you for your e mail.

We have reported the issue with the advanced search to our technical team this morning.

We are sorry for any inconvenience caused.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 12 Mar 2015 11:34

From GR today:

"We have reported this issue to our technical team for further investigation.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention."

Joy

Joy Report 12 Mar 2015 18:14

The technical team was, apparently, told about this issue ages ago.

Still, I won't ask for Christmas decorations next December ... :)

David

David Report 16 Apr 2015 15:54

Same problem - Advanced Search is engaged in a perpetual loop with Firefox 37.0.1 and with Internet Explorer 11. Pitiful ?!

Gee

Gee Report 16 Apr 2015 19:17

Same problem here, also have odd things happening with my message box. Messages that I have not read appear to opened and I have permanent notification of PM's pending

Same old.........................

Rambling

Rambling Report 16 Apr 2015 20:50

I haven't been able to use it for months, so no longer bother, I just use google if it's 'important'.

ArgyllGran

ArgyllGran Report 16 Apr 2015 21:42

Having not heard anything from GR since the support team's last email a month ago, promising that the technical team would look into it, I've emailed them again, to ask how they're getting on with it.

GlitterBaby

GlitterBaby Report 16 Apr 2015 22:26

I gave up telling the support team as you always got about clearing the cache/cookies out etc

Quick search is not brilliant either