Genealogy Chat

Top tip - using the Genes Reunited community

Welcome to the Genes Reunited community boards!

• The Genes Reunited community is made up of millions of people with similar interests. Discover your family history and make life long friends along the way.
  • You will find a close knit but welcoming group of keen genealogists all prepared to offer advice and help to new members.
  • And it's not all serious business. The boards are often a place to relax and be entertained by all kinds of subjects.
  • The Genes community will go out of their way to help you, so don’t be shy about asking for help.

Quick Search

Single word search

Icons

• No new posts
  • Thread closed
  • Stickied, new posts
  • Stickied, no new posts

Non Conformist Records

ProfilePosted byOptionsPost Date

Candidiasia

Candidiasia Report 18 Mar 2015 11:44

Good morning

If you are looking for non conformist eg Quaker records, yes the Genealogist Site has an extensive online collection, but not everyone knows about these records or has the knowledge as to where look.

If you cannot find them because they are not of Church of England in parish records maybe you should consider your ancestors are other religions but how do you go about finding this information?

Many thanks
Candis

BeverleyW

BeverleyW Report 18 Mar 2015 12:16

There is this site:

http://www.bmdregisters.co.uk/index.php

Credits are needed to view records rather than a subscription but you can see the indexes free.

Rambling

Rambling Report 18 Mar 2015 12:27

Ancestry has a number of nonconformist records also, including
London, England, Non-conformist Registers, 1694-1921 where i found a couple of my relatives.

nameslessone

nameslessone Report 18 Mar 2015 15:20

I think a lot depends on what period you are looking for.

Have you bought early marriage certificates to see what sort of church the marriage took place in.?

Methodist marriages are sometimes not in their own church as they weren't licensed to do them, but the baptisms were done by the Methodists - as for Catholics - that is a whole other story!

Chris in Sussex

Chris in Sussex Report 18 Mar 2015 16:19

The series of books "My Ancestor Was........" does a good range for specific religions, Baptists, Congregationalists etc.

Once you have identified which religion yours followed then it is well worth buying or borrowing a copy of the relevant book.

The NA has a good basic guide to records
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/research-guides/nonconformists.htm

Chris

SylviaInCanada

SylviaInCanada Report 18 Mar 2015 21:07

A lot of OH's lot were Quakers, from the 1600s into the mid-1800s .................................

they all seem to have got hatched matched and dispatched in CofE churches :-)